Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one and I really like it. I like the air integration and it's pretty easy to use. I have the SK-7 compass mounted on top. I previously tried an Aeris Elite but it kept losing transmission. Personally I feel safer having a computer that's on the conservative side. One thing I've noticed is that I've gotten a fast ascent warning at some point on every dive so far, so I think it's pretty sensitive to that, but I don't think that penalizes you unless you miss a required stop. You won't regret getting a Cobra in my opinion.

I have the Cobra with the compass and love it. I hear it is conservative and that's fine with me. When diving with others I am not usually the first one up so it must not be too different. Most of the time my non-deco time and air consumption work out about the same so it seems good to me.

I like the hose air integration. Don't have to worry about batteries or wireless connection.

Cobra is easy enough to use but you do have to read the manual. It is not intuitive but is logical once you learn the pattern of the menu and button use. I also bought a PC cable and like the downloading feature to review my dives and SAC rate.

Two thumbs up.

Conservative is good in this sport. I dive the Cobra and rarely have to call a dive early compared to the rest of the group. It will show its conservative head compared to other computers on the 4th dive of a day but whats a little conservatism when you have been pushing the limits all day anyways.

I have dived the Oceanic Pro Plus and the Cobra. Cobra is a top choice.

I will join with another positive vote in favour of the Cobra.

Mine also has the SK-7 compass mounted on it. I really benefit from the air integration as I get a good idea of how I am handling the dive. It has been a wonderful computer to use. I keep mine on a retractor, to prevent danglies.

I personally prefer conservatism in a dive computer. I can always come back for more later. Though I must say that I have only on one occassion had to call a dive before some other divers in the group (on Aladin computers) did. I feel very safe with the information the Cobra gives me.

Once you learn how to use it, you will be able to navigate the Vyper, Gekko and Vytec computers. So if you decide to hop to hoseless integration later, you will have very little extra to learn.

Cheers,

Andrew

I have the Cobra w/ compass, and have had it since I started diving. Tried others, always went back. IMHO, you won't regret the purchase.

I have a new one, in the box, w/compass, for sale if you're interested.
PM me if so....

M&P+4:
I am considering the purchase of a Suunto Cobra. I am aware that it is o touch on the conservative side.

That's a bit like Noah saying it looks a bit cloudy or saying Hitler was not that nice of a guy... Perhaps these are understatements... but they are good units - but way conservative.

scubatoys:
That's a bit like Noah saying it looks a bit cloudy or saying Hitler was not that nice of a guy... Perhaps these are understatements... but they are good units - but way conservative.

What is conservative vs. way conservative? Is this subjective or objective? Does your shop sell Suunto by chance?

ajaxord:
What is conservative vs. way conservative? Is this subjective or objective? Does your shop sell Suunto by chance?

Not to start a philisophical discussion...but :wink:

Conservative is being on the safe side of accepted limits...WAY conservative, IMHO, is a completely subjective term, with little resemblance to suunto.

Suuntos use RGBM, albeit slightly customised for their equipment. While it does exist on the safe side of accepted limits, you will find your bottom time planned with it as long, if not longer, than with, say, a standard PADI dive table.

Back
Top Bottom