Nikon vs. Canon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rossjc

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, in a perfect world I would be able to pick up an A series b/c it is incredible, but I need something smaller. I need an ultra compact. I am looking for the best camera I can get in the "itty bitty" size range.

Right now I am looking at the Coolpix 5200 and the Powershot S500. Can anyone help me with this purchase? Seems that the Nikon has a bit more manual control, but the housing doesn't seem capable of using those controls (Fantasea XXX). Even if you haven't taken photos with them, can you reccomend what looks best on paper?

If you have any good ideas other than these two cameras I would appreciate you opinions.

Josh

rossjc:
Alright, in a perfect world I would be able to pick up an A series b/c it is incredible, but I need something smaller. I need an ultra compact. I am looking for the best camera I can get in the "itty bitty" size range.

Right now I am looking at the Coolpix 5200 and the Powershot S500. Can anyone help me with this purchase? Seems that the Nikon has a bit more manual control, but the housing doesn't seem capable of using those controls (Fantasea XXX). Even if you haven't taken photos with them, can you reccomend what looks best on paper?

If you have any good ideas other than these two cameras I would appreciate you opinions.

Josh

The A series IS itty bitty IMO. If you want to go smaller, hmmm, why?

All you can do is to find the smallest camera in the lot that also has a housing.

Expect the flash to be near worthless. IMO the most important things in a camera UW are lens coverage (most are not really wide) macro shooting, focus in general (does it focus well, and in lower light) and speed (most PnS are slow). Image quality in most digital camera's is good as they share a dozen or so sensors. However optics and speed are key, and you are NOT going to get the best of anything if the size of the camera is the primay goal.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom