Cay Sal Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am making my first live aboard trip this May on the Nekton Rorqual, destination Cay Sal Bank.

Does anyone have information about what I can expect regarding this boat and this trip? Will I be ok diving in just a skin? Any advise for a first time live aboard experience? Thanks!

Took the Nekton Pilot Cay Sal trip last August...

Can't rave enough about the boat and the operation: every element, from the physical layout and design to the way the dive day is divided is geared towards maximum diving efficiency and pleasure. Elements which come to mind are the dive deck which raises and lowers on hydrolicallyy-assisted cables and houses your steel tanks (whip-filled) and your extraneous gear which fits in a generously-sized cubby under your bench...separate rinse tanks for cameras and wetsuits...excellent camera table...hot towels after everydive...excellent briefings...very good food...etc. etc. I'm sure there are a lot of extensive descriptions of the Nekton operation elsewhere on the web. (I remember reading a few myself before my departure)
Now, some specifics about the itinerary. First off, despite all the hooplah about a seasick-proof ride, I'd strongly recommend a bit of Bonine or Triptone for the Gulf Stream crossing from Ft. Lauderdale out to the Bahamas. I'm a fairly seasoned sea-goer and yet I was glad I had some Bonine to allow for acclimation, especially during that first night's crossing which was-- and I understand is often-- quite rough. The boat doesn't toss on the waves, but it moves plenty and can be quite uncomfortable in heavy seas. After a day and a half, I phased out the Bonine and was just fine for the remainder of the trip.
Sorry to say that, while I loved diving off the Nekton boat, the Cay Sal itinerary was quite disappointing. I've been fortunate enough to dive many islands in the Caribbean, not to mention countless forays to the reef system just off the South FLorida coast where I live and I found the "blue holes" to be basically just empty rock cylinders; no sea life to speak of, very little coral--just water and rock. These holes made up a substantial part of the itinerary. There were a couple of decent reefs, including a wall whose plateau we soared above on a whipping drift dive. And the shark dive is definitely a fine show. There's also a surprise, private little rock island in the middle of nowhere which provides a tropical fantasy fun day of cliff diving and swimming about a hidden lagoon. The best dives were at the very end of the trip, off of Bimini. You'll LOVE Thumbnail and, especially, the Strip, a tiny little strip of coral in a sand desert which is absolutely teeming with life.
A word about the accomodations: Do NOT get a room on the upper of the two sleeping decks: the noise from folks tromping about the top deck was reportedly almost annoying enough to foment a mutiny among those below it. I had cabin # 10, on the lower deck about midway on the starboard side (I'm assuming the Rorqual is similarly configured). It was nice and quiet. Even the engine noise was very subdued.
I definitely think about the Nekton trip as a positive experience overall ...just be prepared for less than thrilling dive sites.

I agree with Peter on many points. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Nekton crew and boat ammenities. I'm heading back for my third trip with them later this fall. Take an expandable wetsuit - they'll feed you till you burst!!

I stayed in Cabin 5 on the upper deck both times and the ceiling tiles and roof stompers can get on your nerves. The initial Captain's briefing about the boat includes a demo on how not to walk up there but by next day no one realizes they're stomping about. By 2 days you're so wiped from diving and eating that you'll sleep like a baby anyway.

First trip was the inaugural week in Belize - nothing compares since!! We ate bfast, dove, ate snack, dove, ate lunch, dove, ate snack, dove, ate dinner, educational hour, dove, ate snack, slept - every day.

Last trip was the Cay Sal Banks itenerary - I slept through a lot of dives due to very heavy currents and IMO boring reefs. The blue holes were somewhat interesting, but our quarries are almost as interesting. The shark dive was fun but unfortunately there were not many sharks for us due to heavy fishing of them that week.

It's a great live-aboard and an excellent way to dive. This is just not the best set of dive sites that I've been to (but that's just my opinion). If there's fun people to dive with you'll have fun dives, regardless of how great the reefs.

Back
Top Bottom