Deer Island Point, Jan. 29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andre14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This afternoon, I went down to Deer Island Point with two other dive buddies.

WARNING: if you go to the Point, make sure you have a 4x4. The road to the Point has not been plowed. Getting to the Point and out of it was an adventure in itself.

That didn't stop us from diving on the wall. Max depth was around 85 feet; temps were 45 F at the surface and 35 F at the bottom. Bottom time was 37 minutes. No fishes in sight; however, there were a lobsters and lots of crabs. As usual, he wall was covered with anemones, sponges and sea cucumbers.

A nice little dive to beat the winter blues.

Cheers!

-André in Fredericton

Great to hear you got out - I just wish I could breathe - darn head cold!!!
I'd love to get out to Deer Island this winter - let me know when you're heading out if you don't mind someone else tagging along.

Kim

KimInNB:
I'd love to get out to Deer Island this winter - let me know when you're heading out if you don't mind someone else tagging along.

Kim

No problem! I'll keep you posted. I hope next time I go that the road to the point will be a little more "practical"...

See ya!

-André in Fredericton

I read in the newspaper this morning that one of the ferries that services Deer Island is out of service!! Did you notice any problems with schedules last weekend?

Kim

KimInNB:
I read in the newspaper this morning that one of the ferries that services Deer Island is out of service!! Did you notice any problems with schedules last weekend?

I didn't notice any problems. One of the ferries is indeed docked because of radar issues. They brought one of the little Campobello ferries on duty. However, Peter from Navy Island, in St. Andrews, did warn me of longer waiting times to get on the ferry.

-André in Fredericton

Hehe.. heard about your little getting stuck issue.. Chris and I are heading out to deer friday, and again at the end of february.. hope to hook up again soon. Cheers

Firediver:
Hehe.. heard about your little getting stuck issue.. Chris and I are heading out to deer friday, and again at the end of february.. hope to hook up again soon. Cheers

let me know how the drive is in there today, I'm a sucker for punishment I guess but dave & I are going to dive there on Sat bringing shovels this time tho :)

Dive was great, Drive was ok.. We had to do a little shoveling to break trail down to the Drift Dive set-up point.. couldn't of done it without 4 wheel drive.. We also made a path from the exit point beach. Water Temperature was 30F, Drift was beautiful. Hope you can get out this weekend since it it soooo nice.. I have to work night shift.. I would love to get out again.. Chris and I are heading out again the last weekend of the month 26, 27th.... :Lets meet up to dive. I want to see your new drive suit :)

Dive with ya soon. CHEERS

Firediver:
Dive was great, Drive was ok.. We had to do a little shoveling to break trail down to the Drift Dive set-up point.. couldn't of done it without 4 wheel drive.. We also made a path from the exit point beach. Water Temperature was 30F, Drift was beautiful. Hope you can get out this weekend since it it soooo nice.. I have to work night shift.. I would love to get out again.. Chris and I are heading out again the last weekend of the month 26, 27th.... :Lets meet up to dive. I want to see your new drive suit :)

Dive with ya soon. CHEERS

hey well we saw a bit of disturbance around the drift exit point & wondered if that's the dive you did.. we realized no one else has done the Point since we were there last week.. same footsteps in the snow. found it 36F at the Point and maybe 15ft viz, not bad considering I suppose.. hey if weather anything like this past weekend could winter camp the 26th/27th eh? :wink:

I would love to winter camp.. will run it by Chris.. I am game.. also looking at doing a scallop dive.. just not sure when.

Back
Top Bottom