Opportunity For A Few Dives, South Side And Sandy Bay, Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hopefulist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After a week of diving around Utila I'll have a few days to dive off southern Roatán (staying at Mango Creek Lodge near Port Royal) and 5 days in the Sandy Bay area (renting a small house). I'm looking for advice on how to arrange dives (I only own mask, snorkel, fins) from these two areas, what dive ops you recommend for this, and which dive sites I might try to access (realizing I may have limited say given my time constraints).

Happy trails...

hopefulist:
After a week of diving around Utila I'll have a few days to dive off southern Roatán (staying at Mango Creek Lodge near Port Royal) and 5 days in the Sandy Bay area (renting a small house).
Happy trails...

Staying in Port Royal, I am ignorant as to any dive ops that could take you to possibly the single best dive sites on Roatan. Port Royal is about as far afield as you can get on Roatan without walking into the sunrise! To say it is rustic would be an understatement. There will probably be somebody localy that can rent you a tank, and will take you out. If you are hoping for passable rental BC's and Regs, hope for the best. Great dive sites, nevertheless, Hole-In-The-Wall being my favorite, if you only have time to do one.

Sandy Bay? There are two of them on Roatan, and i know you mean the one on the North Side, East of Anthonys Key, Bay Islands Beach Resort and inn of the Last Resort. There you should have no problem.

The more popular (known) dive sites on the South side? Check out www.subwaywatersports.com

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for the response! We'll be staying at Mango Creek Lodge for some flyfishing, but I'd like to get in a full day's worth of diving on the south side before we move to the Sandy Bay area. Thanks for the site ideas and link. Do you have an opinion about which of three places in Sandy Bay to use for 2 or 3 morning dives and a night dive? More likely to welcome walk-ins, most variety, smaller groups, price, etc. Thanks and
happy trails...

Oh - I think Mango Creek Lodge can arrange a pick-up by whichever dive outfit is closer - Oak Bay or Oak Ridge area maybe?

hopefulist:
Oh - I think Mango Creek Lodge can arrange a pick-up by whichever dive outfit is closer - Oak Bay or Oak Ridge area maybe?

Oak Ridge isn't quite as far East as Port Royal, but any further East of there and you had better be ready to walk back after your jeep bogged down.

So Roatan is kind of laid out like this, East west North and South.....

From the West end, along the Northern shore, heading east:

1/2 Moon-AKR-BIBR-IoLR-Sandy Bay-Jonesvl-Punta Gorda-Paya Bay-Diamnd Rock

From the west End, now heading South then East along the Southern Shore:

Coxen Hole-Airprt-Dixon Cove-Frnch Hrbr-FIBR+CCV-1st Bight-Oak Rdge-Port Royal

Hope that adds some confusion to the issue, left to right here we're talking about 30 miles, top to bottom, maximum of 5 miles.

I don't know of any dive ops at Port Royal either- its pretty much just a small community of home owners. Your closest dive operator would probably be at Paya Bay on the North side- they have a small operation, you'd have to e-mail them for details. Paya Bay isn't too far from Port Royal, but the dirt road between Camp Bay and Port Royal is quite an adventure (much like the main road used to be where the pavement ends). You might also want to check with some of the boat based dive operations like Treasure Hunter Matthew- they may be able to arrange something. Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom