Clear Lake Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good Morning!

Clear Lake is Gorgeous!! It is close to the relatively small town of Sisters, OR. Bend, OR is probably the largest town that it is closest too. I would call Scuba Unlimited in Portland, (800) 293-3483 for directions.

I dove it the 2nd weekend of October two years ago.

I have heard different things about when is the best time to dive there. The lake is actually two bodies of water separated by a narrow channel. In my opinion the "cool diving" side is the smaller of the two bodies of water and is about 45' deep. It's the side you can easily get close to the old lava tubes, the preserved forest, etc... The other side of the lake is around 200'+ deep.

The caretakers of the area rent non-motorized row boats for people to explore the shallower side of the lake in. Since the "cool diving" side is shallow people can easily peer over the side of the row boat to see the bottom of the lake. I've heard the caretakers don't like to have people diving the "cool diving" side of the lake during the months they rent the row-boats as they don't want divers stirring up the bottom. I've heard if divers arrive during these months they may be asked to dive the deeper side of the lake. I believe they rent the rowboats between the first week of May - the first weekend of October.

There are some cabins at the lake you can rent. At least at the time I was there the caretakers didn't have a phone so you have to correspond in writing to inquire about the cabin rentals.

It really is a magical lake to dive in!

Lisa

You might also try contacting Salem SCUBA @ 503-588-3483 for directions and/or to get the contact info for the caretakers at Clear Lake.

The lake is still frozen this year. We had a hard, cold winter in the mountains and it hasn't thawn out yet.

When it thaws I will be there. I only live about 80 miles east of there.

If you do go there, bring all of the air you think you will need as there isn't anywhere for a long ways to get a fill. The closest place is The Powder House in Bend.

If you do decide to come up here early in the season bring plenty of insect repellant. The mosquitos are thick in the mountain lakes soon after they thaw out.

I looked at your profile and see you like mountain biking. If you drive up here, you might also think about stopping at Waldo Lake. There isn't a whole lot to see under the surface, but the vis is outstanding! I have heard of people doing night dives and looking up and seeing stars from 80 feet. There is a trail around the lake that is quite a ride. On the far side of the lake there is a place where they started to tunnell through the mountain in order to drain it to provide power. The project fell through and there are some strange remains of it there. The lake is definately best to use a boat on. The deepest part is about 400 feet.

I don't know if you like fly fishing or not, but if you do You can PM me before you come up here and I can give you directions to one of the best spots around and it is not far from where you asked about. The place is all catch and release and is a blast!

Later, Hawk.

I believe that Emerald Valley Dive Center, in Corvallis, OR, is going to be organizing a trip to Clear Lake this June. Their number is (541) 758-0757. They're good people (and no, I don't work there!)

otter-cat:)

Hey!
I have dove Waldo several times, and would really like to find these structures. Do you have any information on where exactly they are located? Thanks!

"On the far side of the lake there is a place where they started to tunnell through the mountain in order to drain it to provide power. The project fell through and there are some strange remains of it there."

Here is my Photo Gallery of Waldo Lake Oregon

Also, here is my Photo Gallery of Clear Lake Oregon

Back
Top Bottom