Place to Stay In Roatan - May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuck41

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning to spend a couple weeks in Roatan in late May. Plan to stay in West End and looking at: Posada Arco Iris, Mermaid Beach Cabins, Bungalow 7, Georphi's Tropical Hideaway, and Coconut Tree Cabins. Anyone stayed at these places and have any recommendations? Wife insists on A/C and we have friends staying at another place on Half Moon Bay.

Georphis is located a couple doors down from the "MonkeyBar' wich is quite loud at night.I dont think they have airconditioning. Coconut tree is nice but it too is located in the busiest intersection in town. If you are looking for quiet,theses places wont be good. Mermaid Cabinas is a nice location on the west end of town. They are clean and comfortable. All of the above mentioned places are fairly basic. I just got back from a couple weeks at bungalow 7. We stayed in the cheap rooms located in the back of the property. Nice location although the restaurant wasnt open and the bar was open for only an hour or so a day. Right next to this is Seagrape. They have some nice cabins on the water,also a hotel off water. Aroc iris seems like a popular place .Ive never seen the inside.so I cant be of any help.

The rooms at bungalow 7 are very nice...the ones on the water...although a little more expensive than the others you talked about. They are a little more upscale.Since you have friends at half moon bay, this one is very close.Less than a one minute walk..and air conditioned. I would recommend it hightly given the location and the need for AC. I know the owners just sold the place and it will be changing hands sometime in March,so you may want to inquire about the stautus of things. mermaid would be my second choice ,although they are located at the complete opposite end of town....a 5-10 minute walk. Send me a private message if you have any other questions.

We usually stay at Seagrape- nice clean cabins with air conditioning, mini fridge and hammock looking out over the ocean- also Mariella the woman who runs Seagrape is wonderful! Prices are very reasonable also. Bungalow 7 looks very nice- we've eaten there for breakfast but haven't looked at the rooms. Arco Iris also has an excellent reputation. There are also a variety of cabins and homes to rent for longer stays- you can look at www.roatanet.com for more websites.

beansed:
More on what goes on out of the water would be appreciated!

answer: _______________________________________

(nada de mucho)

bupkis.

Go to Roatan to dive. If you go for a well rounded family entertainment value, you will be sorely disappointed. There is a miniature golf (wher you can drink beer, so that's a plus), Iguana Gardens (don't step in the iguana poop), the Jungle Canopy Tour (where they will eye your claim of being 125# very suspiciously before catching you at the end), shopping at the West End (where you can buy quite an array of Guatemalan imports), shopping for cigars (at 3x the price of mail order in the states), and of course, you can drink yourself into tomorrow afternoon, but that can be done in any country. After 3 Salva Vidas, they pretty much so taste like any fine brew. Horseback riding through moskitoville, mangrove water taxi tour (more beer).

I liked the new Water Park and Wave pool, Go-Kart track and Starstruck Coffee, but all in all I like the Aquarium the bestest. I pick my accomodations on the basis of maximum diving for dollar spent.

Roatan is, so far, for divers only. You can't make a silk purse out of a lilly (to mix a metaphor!)

Thank heavens.

Many thanks for the fine suggestions. They will be a great help and I hope I see some of you down there.

Chuck

Back
Top Bottom