Portugal in early March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OkieDivers

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I will be in Portugal March 6 - March 12. We will be with a group of people, but we will have some free time and hope to get in a little diving. I am somewhat concerned about water temp since all of our diving has been in warm water (73*F - 84*F). Would this be a problem since we have no experience diving in cooler water temperatures? We will be staying at the Penha Longa Golf Resort (25 kilometers from Lisbon near the Estoril Coast) and would appreciate any recommendations on diving in that area and dive ops.

Jennifer

You can do some search on this board for recommendations. I dived in Sesimbra
http://www.scubaboard.com/t61091-.html with Nautilus-Sub http://www.nautilus-sub.com (very nice people).

Sesimbra is some 30km south from Lisbon which means some 60 to 70 from Penha Longa. It wasn't problem for me to make 2 dives and after that to drive and pick up friends that were playing golf at Penha Longa.

Hi Jennifer !

I live near Lisbon and I specially like to dive in Fonte da Telha (in Costa da Caparica). Their site on internet is cabanadivers.com.sapo.pt/.

Fonte da Telha is better than Sesimbra because it has more marine life.

The water is around 13º - 15º Celsius. The best dive spot is at 27-30 meters - you descend by a cable and stay there all the dive, so it´s good to dive with nitrox. I dive with a 7 milimiters wetsuit but I´m always too cold. Many people dives with a drysuit.

In Fonte da Telha, the diving boat goes out from the beach and when the sea is not calm, there is no diving. In Sesimbra, this doesn´t happen - the sea is usually good for the boats to leave the harbour.

The dive operations around Lisbon are open at weekends. To dive in week days you must call first and have at least 6 (??? I´m not sure about the number ???) people for diving.

If you want some help to get there (I can only help you at weekends), I can meet you and drive you there.

There is another very good place to dive, more or less 120 km from Lisbon - Berlengas. There you can see mola molas. Once I saw underwater 6 mola molas. More information at www.haliotis.pt/homepage.html

Cheers

Hy Jennifer!

In case you haven't allready read it:

calado:
Hi,

There are many good places to dive in Portugal.

Some of the best places in the mainland are:

Near Lisbon
- Fonte da Telha (+- 50km Lisbon); ++
- Sesimbra (+- 50km Lisbon); +++

Center of Portugal
- Peniche (+- 150km from Lisbon); ++++

South of Portugal
- Vila Nova Milfontes (in Alentejo, +- 150km from Lisbon); ++

- Sagres (in Alvarge, south, +- 300km from Lisbon); +++
- Faro (in Algarve, south, +- 300km from Lisbon); ++
- Tavira (in Algarve, south, +- 300km from Lisbon); ++

and many other places in Alvarge, like Portimão, etc ...

Some of the best places in the world to dive, are the Azores and Madeira Islands ... don't know if your going there, but any island is good to dive. +++++

You can have all contacts from the diving centers in:
http://www.scubaportugal.com

this is taken from THIS thread. the post is almost a year old, so i have no idea if the divespots are still as good...

Back
Top Bottom