Gulf Shores, AL spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CREEVES515

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, Anyone Know a good place near Gulf Shores Alabama where I could sharpen my spearfishing skills? I just bought a speargun and I'm planning on putting it to use when it gets a little warmer. Easy game, easy diving, and accessibility are some of the things I'm looking for (who isn't, i guess). Any help would be much appreciated!

Chris R.

You need to talk to Matt (SuPrBuGmAn) and Sea Yoda.

They are the "experts" in the Gulf Shores area as they both live there and are big spear fisherman. They both will answer a "PM" (private message). You can see the "gallery" on matt's website at http://www.suprbugman.com/ and it has pics of lots of the fish he spear-gunned down. Give them a shout. They'll help you with anything in that area and chances are you can meet up with them for a trip.

-mike

One more thing.... You'll get more replies to this (I would think) if this thread was in "Deep Dixie Divers" as it would be read more by the "Alabama crowd".

Thanks for the help. i'll try that.

Chris

Does anyone know how i can get this thread moved to "deep south divers" forum?

There are several charters that will cater to spearfishing out of Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL. I usually go through Underwater Works(out of Daphne - just north of Gulf Shores) http://alabamadive.com/ for my charters - Chas(owner of UWW) goes through Rusty who captain's the Gulf Diver for his trips. Rusty's a great captain and he knows where the fish can be found. There are tons of artificial reefs out in the Gulf in depths to suit whatever kind of diver you happen to be :)

Down Under Dive shop and Gary's Gulf Diver are two other shops in the area that run boats - will cater to spearfishermen and are located in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach respectively.

How good is the diving/spearing in the Gulf Shores area? I've been going there since I was a little kid, but I've never dove down there. I'm thinking of going sometime soon, so I thought I'd get a little info on the diving.

Anyone have any experience down there?

Can't remember the last time I was skunked diving off Gulf Shores. Some days are better than others of course, but there's always fresh fish on the table at the end of the day.
Rick

Most of the diving is off of artificial reefs, closer inshore dives usually at 3 mile barge, or some bridge rubble(or stacks-n-pillars). Offshore dives in the 10-20 mile range are plentiful with tugs, barges, planes, army tanks, even large liberty ships(the Wallace being 400' long). Go out a bit farther and you can hit some of the rigs. There are some limestone reef/ledges, but most are deep(100-130') and 20-30 miles out. Some of the best Red Snapper fishing available out there(out of GS and OB) :) grouper and amberjack are common place as well as smaller fish(sheepshead, flounder, ect).

If you like diving on wrecks, its a great area IMO. I'm not sure how many are open enough for penetration, so I'll let someone else comment on that.

I've done several dives out there on several sites including 3mile barge(inshore), Navy tug, 22 mile tug, Corsair, Wallace, ect. Had fun each time, came home with flounder each time I've been out there with my polespear. I looking forward to breaking in my new speargun out there as well.

Back
Top Bottom