CocoView on March 26th-April 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addict

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from AKR in October (and loved it), so we thought we would check out CocoView this time 'round (March 26th-April 2nd). We recently got our nitrox certs, so I guess it is good to go to someplace where you can spend more time below then above :crafty:

Just a question... what percentage of people usually dive Nitrox there? Is it EAN32? Do you typically take the first dive on Air, then switch for the rest of the day?

Also, I read RoatanMan's review from last May. He said there were a couple of Whale Shark sightings. Do they typically show up on the other side of Roatan? What are the chances of diving a site where we might see them (that is, does the resort keep informed on possible 'whale sharks' in the area?)

Anyone else going that week?

Starting to get excited.... :monkeydan

--Addict

Addict:
Just got back from AKR in October (and loved it), so we thought we would check out CocoView this time 'round (March 26th-April 2nd). We recently got our nitrox certs, so I guess it is good to go to someplace where you can spend more time below then above :crafty:

Just a question... what percentage of people usually dive Nitrox there? Is it EAN32? Do you typically take the first dive on Air, then switch for the rest of the day?

Also, I read RoatanMan's review from last May. He said there were a couple of Whale Shark sightings. Do they typically show up on the other side of Roatan? What are the chances of diving a site where we might see them (that is, does the resort keep informed on possible 'whale sharks' in the area?)

Anyone else going that week?

Starting to get excited.... :monkeydan

--Addict

It is 32. The number of divers who do it? It varies from week to week, but at 5x a day I never needed to use devil's gas :wink:

Whale Sharks are best found on the Full Moon. There have been numerous sightings, I have been with them only once, on what amounted to a shore dive from CCV. Go figure.

CCV keeps several pet Whale Sharks on hand... if you look really like you want to see one! Seriously, though, between CCV, Captain Ron and Utila Lodge, there is quite a pipeline of information on the gentle giants.

Best place for CoCoView info? see http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/ccv and if you want to see live (daytime) video feeds of CCV's famous "Front Yard Dive", see daylight images on CoCoCam at http://www.cocoviewresort.com/cam.html

You'll enjoy the change.

Thanks RM! You dive 5X a day and don't use EAN? How do you accomplish that? I am not sure if I want to buy the unlimited package, or get them at $6 tank. I am just trying to figure out how much we'll use...

As for the web cam... I spend sleepy days at work daydreaming and watching the divers come in :)

Addict:
Thanks RM! You dive 5X a day and don't use EAN? How do you accomplish that? I am not sure if I want to buy the unlimited package, or get them at $6 tank. I am just trying to figure out how much we'll use...

As for the web cam... I spend sleepy days at work daydreaming and watching the divers come in :)
Buy the nitrox package! Helps with hang overs too.

Addict:

After many hundreds of dives in the Bay Islands, I find the most interesting array of critters to be at less than 60fsw. Many dives I go no deeper than 30fsw. Tak a magnifying glass and go very slowly. If a DM finds something, he'll let everyone know.

CCV DM's are very good about "signing" what they have found. If they find something you've seen half a dozen times and it's deep (like a SeaHorse or...) maybe just skip it? I prefer the shallow critters and am transfixed by Garden Eels, Rays, Drums, etc. Many who go night diving below 35fsw complain that they saw nothing cool. We spend 1:10+ on night dives poking around in 20fsw and come back all atwitter!

"Go slow, Seymour" as the DM's say, and I add... Go shallow!

Back
Top Bottom