Palau???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAKristey

Reaction score
I may be able to go to Palau with a few people in September. We'll be staying aound Koror in a hotel my boss' family owns. Anyone know who to dive with there and anything good to request? (Nothing too advanced though!) We my also get to spend some time on Carp Island, which I'm told is FABULOUS!!!!
Also, for the time we'll be on land, any good places to see?

SCUBAKristey:
I may be able to go to Palau with a few people in September. We'll be staying aound Koror in a hotel my boss' family owns. Anyone know who to dive with there and anything good to request? (Nothing too advanced though!) We my also get to spend some time on Carp Island, which I'm told is FABULOUS!!!!

Sam's tours is a good operation. You can also do non-diving through Sam's (such as a very nice "wheelchair" kayak trip through the Rock Islands) if you want a breather from diving.

SCUBAKristey:

I am leaving for Palau tomorrow morning (2-9-05). Ask me when I get back in two weeks, or so.

Palau will be the best diving you have ever done. I'd recomend a liveaboard and a minimum of 5 dives per day (this coming from somebody who normally likes to do land attractions too - it's just the diving is that good). Definately the top "land" attraction would be the sea kayaking. It also can be neat to visit the stone money quary on one of the little islands - a short boat trip (if you have a chance to do a layover in Yap it is worth spending a day or two). There is dolphin adventure place for those who like that sort of thing. The best dive site is Blue Corner. This site is so good that we asked to go back to it and dive it 4 times on our last day on a liveaboard - every time is different - it's just crazy (only for ADVANCED divers though). Otherwise, all the sites are GREAT!

Pretty much every dive in Palau is advanced. There are a few inside of the reef which would fall within the 'easy' range. Aside from a handful of places, the outer reef does not have a bottom, unless you condider 2000' the bottom.

Hook up with Sam's for diving and kayaking. If you are really unsure of your skill level you can request an extra DM for the first trip to get you shaken out.

Definately do a kayak tour.
If you have a day take a 4x4 or boat to both the Abai (men's meeting house) in Melekeok and the waterfall in Ngardmau.
You can also kayak over to German Lighthouse and have a look at where they filmed the latest Survivor series.

just got back...but was on the Aggressor, so can't really help with land based. Kayaking was nice, with great snorkeling.

I have to second Sams Tour - a great outfit and they do a good job of matching up divers with equivalent skill levels. Blue Corner is a must do dive - just hook in and watch the show.. For something different there’s a small 3-chamber cave just opposite the jetty at Sams that provides a novel little dive at the end of the day, and there’s plenty of mandarin fish outside the entrance at dusk. You can see sunlight from the end of the cave - so its not partially difficult. One of the best dives is one of the least known: Devil Ray City – an easy shallow channel dive up the west coast - although only 1 or 2 guides at sams appear to know where it is. You just sit on the bottom near a cleaning station and watch the mantas hover a metre or two away from you. I remember counting 5 mantas at the one station… If you are starting to feel adventurous after all this and have good buoyancy skills and a safety sausage, then try the Peleliu Express: a great dive for those of us who can't be bothered finning.

If you really want to get away from it all above shore sams can put you on your own deserted tropical island with some food and a tent. They will even pick you up the following day if you so desire… Theres not a lot to do nightlife wise on the main island -so bring a couple of good books.

You’ll have a great time over there…
Cheers,
Rohan.

Damselfish:
just got back...but was on the Aggressor, so can't really help with land based. Kayaking was nice, with great snorkeling.

Oi thats got to be one of you Patriots fans from Boston!
This is Mike in Yap, spoke to Doug on Aggressor last night and gave him crap about the Super Bowl from your whole group....

Mike Veitch:
Oi thats got to be one of you Patriots fans from Boston!
This is Mike in Yap, spoke to Doug on Aggressor last night and gave him crap about the Super Bowl from your whole group....

Did you tell him about the two crocodile fish too?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom