Jetfin redesign

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigBoB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hope I am not giving away a fortune.

Seems to me that one could make some money by manufacturing a pair of fins, in the jetfin style, with the jets turned around the other way. All of the frog kickers out there would probably eat them up (maybe?).

Tavi:
If it works, Don't fix it!

Ditto.

Jetfins are often copied but never duplicated. Any vented fin is an attempt at trying to make the Jetfin better, and it’s never happen.

The one improvement I wonder about - if it would work or ruin Jets - would be to make a longer foot support like the twin jets have. - I love my jets, but that's the one thing I wished was different when I bought them. Any thoughts if this would be a bad move?

kidspot:
The one improvement I wonder about - if it would work or ruin Jets - would be to make a longer foot support like the twin jets have. - I love my jets, but that's the one thing I wished was different when I bought them. Any thoughts if this would be a bad move?

Just bought a pair of the new Aqualung Super Rockets II (note the II). These have the longer foot support and a very comfortable foot pocket.

And the vents are turned the opposite way on the Rockets from the Jets.

theskull

let us know how they compare after you've gotten to use them for awhile, would ya?

Tim

Tavi:
If it works, Don't fix it!

Don't get me wrong. I love my jets. I have had the same pair since 1990 and have used them continuously since, except that 3 month stint with quatros (thank god someone stole them out of the back of my truck and I went back to the dark side).

I am just wondering about efficiency. If the rubber type and stiffness remained the same would the fin be more powerful (FROG KICK ONLY) with the jets reversed. It could very well be decreased with the jets allowing more water movement through the middle of the fin.....I should of went to college and majored in something like fin engineering. Maybe someone really smart could present a math problem or something to prove (or disprove) this hypothesis.

kidspot:
let us know how they compare after you've gotten to use them for awhile, would ya?

Tim

Will do. I'll be in the water the next 3 weekends. They are also supposed to be a new rubber compound that is slightly less negatively buoyant than the old Rockets. There are 2 sizes, Rockets (S/M) and Super Rockets (L/XL). The Supers fit like a charm over my size 10 1/2 rock boots. They also already have drain holes in the foot pocket, so I won't have to drill this pair.

theskull

It would make it more difficult to slip them over your wrists when you're exiting the water. Bad move, IMHO.

The only improvement might be to make a better range of foot pocket heights and widths - they are either huge or tiny, no inbetween!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom