Switch to Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using mares quattros (I love them) for warm water diving since I started diving and then I got a dry suit and my rock boots required larger fins so I got some scubapro twin jets, since that was what the shop suggested. I have to admit that I just don't like the feel of the twin jets. I feel like I have less mobility underwater. I was recently diving in kelp and felt like a fish out of water trying to get around in tight spaces while taking photos with the twin jets on. I like the way they feel going straight, but when turning and poking about with my camera I feel clumsy and unable to turn and pivot like I do with the mares on. Maybe the dry suit and the extra bulk is the problem?

I am sure that part of the problem is that I am just so used to the mares and that I haven't learned to adapt yet to the split syle fin. SO, I am thinking about switching to the original jet fin since many STILL seem to love them. Anyone dive dry with quattros? Any thoughts on this issue? My next step is to try to use a pair. Is a dif. really noticeable? Thanks in advance!

Your observations concerning the splits are shared by some of the other photographers I know as well. The strength of the splits is an easy of kick and good speed. The Jets offer more instantanious and precise control, but you really have to work to go fast in them. I work on a very photography oriented boat, and the most popular fin amongst the shutter bugs seems to be... the Mares Quattro. Right back where you started.
Anyway, between the splits and the Jets I think you'll prefer the Jets for what you're doing. If you're interested, here's a thread I wrote during a month long comparison between the Twin Jets and Jet fins.

I've used my Mares Avanti Quattros for dry diving, and love them. I just had to buy a larger pair then when I dove wet to accomodate the rock boots. I've also replaced the funky plastic-buckle straps with spring straps, and don't get hung up on the kelp any more.

Thanks gang. Really good info and links! I think I am going to consider jets or maybe larger quattros. I love this board sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom