Solomon Islands in 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saba97

Reaction score
I am looking in to going to the Solomon Islands in 2006. Looking at going on the Bilikiki. Good things and/or bad things regarding a trip to the Solomon's? When would be the best time of the year to go? My wife is not a diver but she likes to snorkel, would there be some good snorkeling from the boat? What kind of weather and water conditions would we expect? Any other tips or suggestions regarding this trip? Is there any big difference in a 7, 10 or 14 day trip? How difficult is it getting there?

Thanks, Saba97

Hi Saba97

I went to the Solomon Islands in July last year and loved it. I stayed at Tulagi which is an hour by boat from Honiaria.

In terms of getting to the Solomons, we flew from Brisbane QLD and it was a three hour flight (from memory). So you would need to fly into either Sydney and get a flight to Brisbane or go straight to Brisbane if that is possible with your flights. I think there may be other ways, but that seems the most logical (and easiest) to me.

We had some fantastic snorkelling in the Solomons, but I don't think it's the place for non-divers. At Tulagi where I was there was nothing for non-divers and I imagine a live-aboard would be just as bad. I could be wrong though, having never done a live aboard. She would have to take a lot of books! Can you convince her to do a dive course?

The diving was brillant from Tulagi and I have heard great things about the diving from Bilkini (?sp) as well. A fantastic mix of reef and wrecks. Water temp was 29 - 30 degrees celcuis and conditions were great - minimal current & swell.

mel

I did that trip in Oct of 2003 and loved it. First the downsides, the trip getting there was long, hot and boring, with a 20+ hr layover in Fiji. There are three cabins on the main deck (though the spirit and bilikiki differ slightly) and the rest below. Be sure to bring earplugs for nighttime as it can be a bit noisy for light sleepers. This is not for first time divers. You really should have advanced level certs, and logged a few dives to really enjoy all that this has to offer.

Now for the good stuff, awesome crews, diving, food, etc. For me a true vacation, due to the daily schedule. Get up, have breakfast, brief the dive, crew loads your heavy gear into the tinny (small boat) for a 1-2 min ride to the dive site, back roll in and go. You can stay with the DM/Guide or do your own thing. When you are done diving do your stop and surface and one of the tinny's will pick you up. The crew carries your gear back on board. Take a hot shower, be handed a warm towel, and throw on a t-shirt, grab your book and head upstairs for fresh cookies or snack of hour, read or whatever for 60-90 mins. Repeat this process all day. Usually 5 dives in a day. The night dives are done after dinner, if you want dessert they'll save it for you.

The abundance of life is mind blowing. This trip has spoiled me for other sites my dive trips since have all seemed dull. Some of the must see sights are White's landing, (stay shallow near the landing barges, forget the deep wrecks), Mary's Island - bring a reef hook, and awesome wall dives.

I do hope you have a good camera and know how to use it. I took over 2000 photos and wish I had done more. You’ll need macro (nudi’s and pigmy seahorses) and macro for all the big stuff.

Things I liked most: can dive my own profile or stay with the DM. I would drop my buddy off and see her to the surface and picked up then continue to dive with the group until I was done.
The crew moved my gear to and from the small boats. I never had to carry more than my fins and mask.
Not having to swim back to the boat. I surfaced where ever I was and they picked me up. They have two boats in the water at all times, and try to bracket you. One will not leave for a return trip unless the other is on site. Carry a signal tube though just in case.
Food was really good and they appeared to do special meals for those who needed it.
We had the best cabin so it was perfect for my large size.

Suggestions:
Bring extra cash to by carvings, there are several stops, and they are amazing. If you don't know how to bargain, find some to do it for you. Bring odd t-shirts, cool looking watches and other "Americana" stuff to trade along with local currency.

If you have specific questions, please let me know.

I used to live in Honiara working for one of he dive shops their many many moons ago now, before the inter island fighting and issues started. There isn't much to do for a non diver, but my Mum god bless her, doesn't dive, and spent many holidays sitting on beautiful beaches in remote places reading books for hours on end as my three brothers, my father & I would be diving int he most wonderful places. She always enjoyed the snorkelling in the Solomons.

On the liveaboards they do a lot of village stops and island treks in between dives that the non divers just love to get into. You would probably find they are most accommodating in taking her in a tender to a nice snorkelling site.

Enjoy your holiday, I still miss the Sols, would love to move back to my shack there, it certaily wuldn't take much convincing. But to be honest for a non diving partner, I hope they love snorkelling, or are the type to entertain themselves, it is a delightful place to just unwind, to do not alot.

ASB

Back
Top Bottom