Jets Spring Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

berty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to buy some spring straps for my jet fins. There seem to be a bunch of sellers. I'm not interested in making my own. Any recommendations? THe 5thd and Terkel straps look pretty solid. Halcyon has nice stuff, but the spring straps are more expensive than others.

Thanks

The spring strap topic is fairly common on the board. I recently read about a new set of spring straps made by Apollo Sports USA, more information is available on them HERE. They can be purchased directly from that web site, or for about $20 less get them at LeisurePro.com . I'll probably be buying a pair for my Jet Fins, even though a LDS recently told me that Scubapro will be releasing their own spring straps in the near future. I haven't heard anything to confirm that, so I'm not holding my breath (which we all know we shouldn't do while diving anyway).

92630Diver:
... new set of spring straps made by Apollo Sports USA, more information is available on them HERE.

Those look like they are made for post style fins, will they work with Jets? Leisurepro also now has the scubapro spring straps available for $59 http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=SCPFJSS and the Manta variety http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=MNTFS for $44, which I use - the Scubapro look like some of the nicest I've seen though - had they been out I think I would have gotten them instead. I really like the look of the hardware - and the price isn't too bad either.

Tim

kidspot:
Those look like they are made for post style fins, will they work with Jets? Leisurepro also now has the scubapro spring straps available for $59 http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=SCPFJSS and the Manta variety http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=MNTFS for $44, which I use - the Scubapro look like some of the nicest I've seen though - had they been out I think I would have gotten them instead. I really like the look of the hardware - and the price isn't too bad either.

Tim

based on the zoomed-in view of the scuba-pro ones, I am not convinced about the strength of the attachment to the fins -- the manta ones on leisurepro seem like they attach better and are cheaper (but then you have to install your own nylon line into the manta ray ones, and some people deem the steel that connects to the fins too thin and that it can rip through the rubber over time)

i use the manta's and they work fine. A friend has the halcyon ones on his turtles and they seem to work OK (but cost 2x ..)

they look like the original hardware to me - and I know I had a difficult time pulling them apart on my fins - still a one piece design would probably be less prone to fail.Tim

If you are concerned that the "steel is too thin and that it can rip through the rubber over time, consider the warranty that Scubapro has on their fins, and consider that adding the Scubapro spring straps, you will not be violating the warranty, if, and thats a big off, they fail, you can get a new pair of fins, thats a manufacturers defect.

limeyx:
based on the zoomed-in view of the scuba-pro ones, I am not convinced about the strength of the attachment to the fins -- the manta ones on leisurepro seem like they attach better and are cheaper (but then you have to install your own nylon line into the manta ray ones, and some people deem the steel that connects to the fins too thin and that it can rip through the rubber over time)

i use the manta's and they work fine. A friend has the halcyon ones on his turtles and they seem to work OK (but cost 2x ..)

I own 4 pair of the Mantas, and many of my buddies dive them. There is no need whatsoever to install nylon line in them. They are heavy-duty stainless springs -- where do you think they are going to stretch to if you don't tie nylon line through them??

Have also seen no evidence of the connectors being too thin or ripping through any of the rubber fins over time. This in spite of in some cases stretching wet-suit sized fins over dry suit boots repeatedly, and even removing straps from one set of fins and reinstalling them on others several times.

Has anyone ever seen any incident of these types actually occur, or is this just extreme failure-point analysis done by cyber-divers?

theskull

MaxBottomtime:
Here's a very inexpensive alternative. It's so simple...I wish I would have thought of it before buying two sets of spring straps.

http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html#strap

Hey M.B. if you like I'll swap you 2 pair of bungee style for every 1 pair of SS - Pre-Cut with fused ends no less LOL

Just "funnin'" with ya'

I do like them for my loaner fins, and they have held up quite well. But I would only recommend them for backup/loaners and to "test" out SS spring straps as an option, as the rubber will eventually deteriorate. In the meantime they are a lot cheaper to replace than the original SP rubber straps - My neighbors kids love them, but I'm just too cheap to buy ss spring straps for 6 pair of Jetfins!

Tim

P.S. wish I could take credit for the idea, but you'll never guess where I heard about it . . . ScubaBoard - great place isn't it?

I just bought a set on eBay from www.spring-straps.com. You can order them directly from their website, but they are more expensive. I really like the fact that they are all metal, as I have seen a lot with plastic barrels at the attachment point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom