killing dolphins ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gabriel90512

Reaction score
I was surfing around the web and found a like to a web sight WWW.Seashepherd.org
I was looking over the sight and I saw the movies .. about the Dolphins were being
killed for food ? ............. I did not know people did this ... y the hell would some one
eat dolphins ? ....... the movies made me sick and pissed off .....

my question is .. any one know much about the Seashephard org. I was thinking about sending them a donation to help the fight.....

any info you guys have would be nice...

Thanks

SCUBA GABE

I'm going to hear it I'm sure, but if they are being used for food why would the harvesting of dolphins be any different than any other marine creature out there. Every year Tuna, Swordfish, Cod, Haddock, Halibut, Shark, and Lobster are harvested for consumption. The only difference between them and dolphins is that Dolphins are cute and aquariums and TV have given them a human personality to get you to separate with your hard earned dollars. These people have the site to tug on the heart strings and exploit the same chrematistics to get donations from you.

I can't agree with you on this one but I know my wife would.

Jason

They taste really good....according to some Filipino fishermen I worked with.

Kennedydive:
if they are being used for food why would the harvesting of dolphins be any different than any other marine creature out there.Jason

Because dolphins are cute, intelligent and mammals is the reason.
Cripes, in some cultures (some american indian tribes for example) dog is considered a
fine meal. Of course most of us would retch at the thought of puppy-chow-mein.

Green_Manelishi:
Because dolphins are cute, intelligent and mammals is the reason.
Cripes, in some cultures (some american indian tribes for example) dog is considered a
fine meal. Of course most of us would retch at the thought of puppy-chow-mein.

I was served dog more than a few times in the PI, and that's where I saw a dolphin tied to the back of a jeepney (small, bus type vehicle) on the way to the market. I think it's against the law now. It's a macho thing there. It warms your insides and they say that all dogs will not come near you the next day because of your smell. Different cultures....

All I need to see is Susan Sarandon's face on their web site to know they're not getting one cent from me.

just my two cents.....

LobstaMan

Kennedydive:
I'm going to hear it I'm sure, but if they are being used for food why would the harvesting of dolphins be any different than any other marine creature out there. Every year Tuna, Swordfish, Cod, Haddock, Halibut, Shark, and Lobster are harvested for consumption. The only difference between them and dolphins is that Dolphins are cute and aquariums and TV have given them a human personality to get you to separate with your hard earned dollars. These people have the site to tug on the heart strings and exploit the same chrematistics to get donations from you.

I can't agree with you on this one but I know my wife would.

Jason
If you ever get to swim with wild dolphins, take a moment and look into their eyes, It is not a blank stare like a fish, you can see that there's something there.

I wish I hadn't seen that video.

LobstaMan:
All I need to see is Susan Sarandon's face on their web site to know they're not getting one cent from me.

just my two cents.....

LobstaMan

I can't stand her and I would never give any money to any organization she supports.

I do find it disturbing though that we may be on the same side of an issue.

TT

I totally agree with twotanks... I wish I hadn't seen that video… and again twotanks is right, if you ever get to swim with wild dolphins, take a moment and look into their eyes. I would add dog lovers have the same feeling when looking at their pets... now is easy to see what people who love dogs/dolphins/whales/etc think of people who eat them.

Robert

Very good point. I will ad that growing up in a rural area I've had the pleasure of helping the neighbor a few miles down the road with his farm. Try looking into the eyes of a cow that runs and jumps playfully when he sees you coming. Not many people think of all the cows that are butchered every year when we order McDonalds burgers at the drive thru. Those who do tend to become vegetarians.
I would love to swim with the dolphins and have no desire to harm or eat one, but humans are on top of the food chain and if that is what they are being used for, than it is no different then us eating a cow when other cultures worship the cow and would be thoroughly disgusted at the fact we eat beef.
JK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom