Opinions on drysuit dump valve placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbgordon

Reaction score
I'd like to hear some DIR diver opinions on drysuit dump valve placement. I dive with some folks who have their dump valve on their left inside wrist, oposite the watch position. They say it makes dumping air easier when they are in the horizontal position, makes getting your suit on and off easier, and they highly recommend putting the dump valve there.

Then, there is obviously the standard location on the left outside shoulder.

Does anyone here have some opinions for or against either which they'd be willing to share with me?

Thanks,
-Dan Gordon

On my last drysuit i had the exhaust valve relocated from the shoulder area to my left forearm. Although the dump was located closer to the bicep than i cared for the forearm dump was much easier to dump than the shoulder mounted one.

On my new custom DC ultraflex pro i am back to a shoulder dump and DC placed it in a manner where it works nicely for horizontal ascending. I was originally gonna have it mounted on my forearm but was considered a custom location and would have to chalk the valve where i wanted it which would take a few extra weeks and i was too inpatient to wait any longer although the suit went back anyways as the sleeves were to short......who'd figure :D Here is a link to my new suit with the shoulder valve. I only have about 4 dives on this suit so far and no complaints with venting air in the current location. http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13735/cat/500/page/1

By the way, if i had to do it again i would go with the forearm dump as it is way easy to dump expanding air and you can visually see that it is working.

Thanks for the opinions so far folks. I'm kind of surprised so far that the majority are for the forearm location.

Have any of you experienced any problems with accidental venting or tangling while dealing with your light cord, long hose, stage bottles, scooters, etc that you wouldn't have experienced if it was on your shoulder? Anyone have reason not to have it there?

Thanks for the great feedback so far.

-Dan

I'd say that placement is a little bit off and would be tough to dump. It should be closer to in line with the thumb when you twist your wrist so the thumb is pointed up.

My DC is just a tiny bit off in the direction you mention. No too far, but I find it harder to dump than others who got lucky when DC actually placed it correctly. From my experience, this has been a typical hit or miss item by the manufacturer.

dbgordon:
I dive with some folks who have their dump valve on their
left inside wrist, oposite the watch position.

If you get the small flapper valve, there is nothing that will accidentally be pressed.

dbgordon:
Thanks for the opinions so far folks. I'm kind of surprised so far that the majority are for the forearm location.

Have any of you experienced any problems with accidental venting or tangling while dealing with your light cord, long hose, stage bottles, scooters, etc that you wouldn't have experienced if it was on your shoulder? Anyone have reason not to have it there?

-Dan

dbgordon:

-Dan

No problems with accidental venting (so far). However, would have to say that "real estate" in that vicinity is scarce for a DIR configuration. Wearing a wrist compass and then using an 18 watt light with the long ballast assembly can get a bit busy in the left wrist area...but not prohibitively so...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom