Shark Dive Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domino22

Contributor
Reaction score
Do they still offer a shark dive on Roatan where they feed them? If so anyone have more info? Thanks

domino22:
Do they still offer a shark dive on Roatan where they feed them? If so anyone have more info? Thanks

Yes, it is done by "The Italians" (Wiakula Dive?)at a dive site called Cara a Cara (Face to Face). It is extremely well managed with a good dive briefing and opoen dory of a better quality. It pulls out of Dixon Cove (just at the East end of the Airport).

For a canned shark rodeo, it is very well done and at an excellent location. There can be a fair current, so not for the absolute newbie or somebody who won't pay attention at the briefing (but then again, what dive would be?).

Thanks RoatanMan. I think I may give it a try. Have you done it? And if so is it worth it?

domino22:
Thanks RoatanMan. I think I may give it a try. Have you done it? And if so is it worth it?

Yeah, me and "Herself" were one of the first customers they ever served. We were there when Tim, the island video guy, was shooting their first sales videos. They had their act together then, and has only gotten better... what from internet reports as well as chatting with fellow visitors to Roatan who have gone.

Is it worth it? To a large extent, yes, but as "Herself" said to me afterwards (and this was the first such dive she had done), "I flopped in the water, looked down 55 feet to the bottom and saw the sharks circling at depth. I said to myself: sharks, hmm, okay, now I've seen sharks. What's next?"

They were not a big thrill to her. Maybe this was because she had become such a Roatan oriented diver that by now she was carrying a magnifying glass and had honed her observational skills to find Pipefish, SeaHorses and the like. Sharks, especially 'baited' sharks, were merely a passing amusement.

Later in the Bahamas she had a chance encounter with one lone Bull Shark at depth. That she found much more to her liking. When she first started diving, she went over to Anthony's Key and pestered the Dolphins for $80. She enjoyed snorkeling with them off of Carib Point much more from a CCV boat when a wild pod came alongside. She enjoyed (much to my alarm) touching Hammerheads in the Galapagos.

The first shark I saw was in the wild. I reckon that for every 1 shark that I have seen maybe 500 have sensed me and steered clear of my limited senses and vision. That's a SWAG, obviously I have no idea of the actual number. But after years of sneaking around these critters I'll tell you, unless you have a salami around your neck- they will avoid you like the plague.

Kind of like the difference in going to the Bronx Zoo versus the plains of Africa, natural versus contrived. It's still a cool thing, but I would suggest paying for a personal DM to take you on a magnifying glass tour of Roatan, with the money you would spend on "Mr. Grey" dives, you could hire a private DM for 4 different dives. He will show you stuff you never saw before, nor were likely to find. You will not need the assistance of a DM to find large creatures such as sharks :wink:

I will restate, however, that these guys run a nice operation.

We did the shark dive with Waihuka at the end of August. There were not as many sharks as we had hoped for, and the Italians thought the dive was so dismal that they didn't even bother to videotape it. My husband an brother-in-law wanted to try again, so they booked to return a couple of days later. When they arrived that morning, the Italians had apparently overbooked (or perhaps the group of their fellow countrymen who had shown up that morning was larger than anticipated). Whatever, my guys were booted from the trip, told there was no room for them. Based on this experience, I would say that the Waihuka operation is rather unprofessional.

We did both the shark rodeo and the dolphin snorkel in Roatan, and both were disappointing compared to experiences we've had with sharks and dolphins in the wild.

What about whale sharks? Does anyone know where to dive off of Roatan (and what time of year) in order to see them? Or will we have to take a trip to Utila to see them?

I'm dying to see a whale shark!

moonsky:
What about whale sharks? Does anyone know where to dive off of Roatan (and what time of year) in order to see them? Or will we have to take a trip to Utila to see them?

I'm dying to see a whale shark!

Don't die! Just use the great search engine right here on Scuba Board!

see http://www.scubaboard.com/search.php?searchid=1108774 for a broad search.

Best advice? Log many many dives and keep your head moving in a 360 scan. When you are on a dive boat and in transit, scan along with the driver for sea birds. Have your mask fins and snorkel always ready for a quick 'jump in'.

will take your advice!

Did the shark dive in Sept last year. Had a great experience. Everyone in my group thought it was the highlight of our dive trip. Guess we must have gone on a good day. I thought it was pretty well organized.

More info (from Google):

Waihuka Diving

Contact Waihuka Diving at Dixon Cove
DC
Phone 445-1283

Have fun.

RoatanMan:
Yeah, me and "Herself" were one of the first customers they ever served. We were there when Tim, the island video guy, was shooting their first sales videos. They had their act together then, and has only gotten better... what from internet reports as well as chatting with fellow visitors to Roatan who have gone.

Is it worth it? To a large extent, yes, but as "Herself" said to me afterwards (and this was the first such dive she had done), "I flopped in the water, looked down 55 feet to the bottom and saw the sharks circling at depth. I said to myself: sharks, hmm, okay, now I've seen sharks. What's next?"

They were not a big thrill to her. Maybe this was because she had become such a Roatan oriented diver that by now she was carrying a magnifying glass and had honed her observational skills to find Pipefish, SeaHorses and the like. Sharks, especially 'baited' sharks, were merely a passing amusement.

Later in the Bahamas she had a chance encounter with one lone Bull Shark at depth. That she found much more to her liking. When she first started diving, she went over to Anthony's Key and pestered the Dolphins for $80. She enjoyed snorkeling with them off of Carib Point much more from a CCV boat when a wild pod came alongside. She enjoyed (much to my alarm) touching Hammerheads in the Galapagos.

The first shark I saw was in the wild. I reckon that for every 1 shark that I have seen maybe 500 have sensed me and steered clear of my limited senses and vision. That's a SWAG, obviously I have no idea of the actual number. But after years of sneaking around these critters I'll tell you, unless you have a salami around your neck- they will avoid you like the plague.

Kind of like the difference in going to the Bronx Zoo versus the plains of Africa, natural versus contrived. It's still a cool thing, but I would suggest paying for a personal DM to take you on a magnifying glass tour of Roatan, with the money you would spend on "Mr. Grey" dives, you could hire a private DM for 4 different dives. He will show you stuff you never saw before, nor were likely to find. You will not need the assistance of a DM to find large creatures such as sharks :wink:

I will restate, however, that these guys run a nice operation.

Hello Roatan man....thanks for the info you've provided.

We're returning to Roatan in March and anticipated in participating in a shark dive and would appreciate your assistance in advising us as to the safety of the experience. Also..would appreciate knowing if they are closed for specified days so we can pre-arrange an excurision when we aren't diving/de-gassing so to speak.

Also wondering what the chances are of seeing whale sharks at that time of the year? From our last visit two years ago we were advised that the whale sharks migrated since hurrican Mitch and haven't returned.

Also interested in doing some wreck diving which we understand are east of the island. Any suggestions?

Looking forward to your response. We will be returning to Fantasy for another diving vacation and if time permits perhaps we can become aquainted.

regards...
dark..deep...diving...from Canada...

Back
Top Bottom