Recommended Wreck Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LobstaMan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In the market for a wreck reel and would like some input from the folks from NELD. Suggestions on size/thickness of line, amount of line and any special features would be of great assistance. Also, the reel would be a primary reel w/o any back-up at this point. I will not be doing any wreck penetrations w/ the reel yet, but maybe in the future. Probably just running lines from the anchor, etc. Thanks.

LobstaMan

Hello Jimmy , tired of the winter yet? A few things I have learned, some the hard way, re. wreck reels. Smaller reels I have found , while being less cumbersome, are hard on the hands while bringing the line back in. I tend to get hand cramps. Another feature one often sees on reels is a lock on the handle to prevent the line from feeding out unintentionally. This sounds great, however, you also have to hold the lock in while you are reeling in the line. This is a pain in the *** and also is rough on the hands. Two last points and I will stop boring you. The finer the line the harder it is to handle. Fine line will foul if youare not very careful. Also, if replacing line on a reel make sure it isn't bouyant. I've done this and learned my lesson.

Hope to see you soon Jimmy. P.

I use the Seal Real from www.ReefScuba.com. It does come with the "lock" which I have taken off. Awesome reel and easy to untangle. :D

LobstaMan:
In the market for a wreck reel and would like some input from the folks from NELD. Suggestions on size/thickness of line, amount of line and any special features would be of great assistance. Also, the reel would be a primary reel w/o any back-up at this point. I will not be doing any wreck penetrations w/ the reel yet, but maybe in the future. Probably just running lines from the anchor, etc. Thanks.

LobstaMan

This is what I use: http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/dive_reels/largereels.htm

Hey Pat!

I've had enough of the winter for sure. Thanks for the input on the reel. I'll see you in the Spring.

Jimmie O

matt_unique:
Ha ha - I should probably clarify (since there are 5 reels on the page or something) that I use the first on the list (Dive Rite).

Thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe you were carrying all the reels, tieing off a new one when the previous was empty, and exploring a LOOOOOOONG distance from the anchor. :eyebrow:

I have the Trident on that page. And it got a bit tangled the first time I used it on one of Pat's charters. (Thanks, you just reminded me to change the line to a thicker guage.)

Jimmie, you sound like you're had it with winter. Maybe you need to stop by for some home-brewed beer. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom