New to Lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jokeborn

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Alright, I bought the gear, got the license and have looked for the spinies. After seeing many before I got the gear, the one I finally found after getting prepared was able to elude me. I used the tickle stick to prod him from behind, and I have a catch net for him to go into (this is what I was explained to do when I was buying the gear). He basically laughed at me and backed further into his hiding spot. Any suggestions out there on easier ways to catch these guys? Also, once I do finally get one and return to shore, what do I need to do to seperate the tail? Thanks.

Most of us use a rake to tickle them out from the ledges. My rake will go from 4-12 feet. Once the bugs are tickled out just grab them by the knuckles. ( where the anntenae meet the head) Sometimes I will use a snare but I make my own, they are about 6' long. Because when diving the ledges out of the port they go along ways back. Go to http://www.spearboard.com and ask LOB (Look Out Below) about his techniques. He is one of the better bug hunters in the area.
Here are a couple of pics of my rake.
Collapsed
TSCollapsed.JPG

Extended
TSExtended.JPG

You'll get all sorts of options on cathing them. You'll get mad and then just want to ram your hand in there and grab hold of them but more often than not you'll end up with a hand full of anteni (sp). Hang above the ledge and look for their anteni sticking out and then slowly drop down about 3' from the ledge so you don't spook them and then use your tickler to entice them to get out of their safe haven.
After you get lucky and you are on the shore with a few bugs. Grab their anteni and break off the small end of it for a piece that is about 3" or 4" longer than the tail is and put that aside (you'll use that in a minute). Grab the Carapiece with one hand and the Tail with the other and twist the tail off. Once you have the tail off grab your "tail cleaning tool" The anteni you broke off. And use it to clear out and "ream" the digestive track of the Bug. and then put the tail in a Ziplock bag with some water and through it in the freezer for later!

That is how I do it!!! There are so many other ways but this is what works for me!

Check out www.catchlobster.com-this is the site of SCUBA Sun N Fun. They put out a pretty darn good DVD called "Tail Tamer" it's amusing with a lot of good info and different techniques/equipment. I use it to supplement my class before mini season begins each year. These guys manufacture and sell some good equipment as well. Good luck!

Jeff

jokeborn:
....... and I have a catch net for him to go into .

1. Bugs have eyes, and can see you.

2. Never let the bug see the net.

3. Put the net right behind the bug's tail and back him into the net with the tickle stick.

4. Patience, patience, patience. Go very slow and don't spook the bug.

EANx40:
Most of us use a rake to tickle them out from the ledges.

Big thank you EANx40!!

After years of hearing about hunters using rakes and scoops I could not figure out what the heck they were talking about. Your pictures are great!!!

Thank you for all the great tips on lobstering. Besides Florida, where else can I scoop up a lobster? I'm headed to Cayman in two weeks, but I think they would put me in jail! Nevis and St. Kitt are a little too far to fly! I have a rake and a bag. I even have a small mop, you know the kind that looks like Rasta hair - LOL - that I thought I could tangle one in if I just twisted it around and around.

Gonna agree with diver dude and mrjcrickett. Off of Jersey you'll find a bunch of bugs but watch for the claws. All you do is reach in and grap them. Of course in the northeast you'll find people wearing gloves. Doesn't matter much about the claws (when they get you they get you good) but you won't get so scraped up from what ever your reaching into then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom