Manta Spring strap - how to keep them on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
This question is for anyone who uses the clip type of Manta Spring Strap. I took mine out for the first time yesterday and darn near lost them and my fins in the surf on entry. Had a couple miracle grabs and all is well. I got out of the water, got the fins on and entered with them on, but I need a solution to keep them on permanently.

If you've seen the clip design, it basically just hooks over the original post on your fins. As long as they are on your foot and there is tension, no worries. But if there is slack and the clip is allowed to slide forward on the post they can pop right out. Sometimes in cold Northern California surf :wink:

I hope I explained the problem well, but I'm sure people with the same straps know what I am talking about. Thanks for any ideas or solutions

Gregg

PS - I am pretty much wishing I had gone with Boogie's spring straps now since they look much more secure (sorry Boogie). I was going to do that anyway, but I needed em fast.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
This question is for anyone who uses the clip type of Manta Spring Strap. I took mine out for the first time yesterday and darn near lost them and my fins in the surf on entry. Had a couple miracle grabs and all is well. I got out of the water, got the fins on and entered with them on, but I need a solution to keep them on permanently.

If you've seen the clip design, it basically just hooks over the original post on your fins. As long as they are on your foot and there is tension, no worries. But if there is slack and the clip is allowed to slide forward on the post they can pop right out. Sometimes in cold Northern California surf :wink:

I hope I explained the problem well, but I'm sure people with the same straps know what I am talking about. Thanks for any ideas or solutions

Gregg

PS - I am pretty much wishing I had gone with Boogie's spring straps now since they look much more secure (sorry Boogie). I was going to do that anyway, but I needed em fast.

You could modify them yourself, either with anchor shackles or S-hooks. Directions are somewhere under DIY.

That style strap is easy to secure. You could have just called Manta, they have dealt with this repeatedly. Some fins don't have quite the right size knob for the clip to grab. So, all you have to do is take a cable tie and figure-8 it around the knob and through the clip. This will hold forever (?) -- for years, anyway.

theskull

theskull:
That style strap is easy to secure. You could have just called Manta, they have dealt with this repeatedly. Some fins don't have quite the right size knob for the clip to grab. So, all you have to do is take a cable tie and figure-8 it around the knob and through the clip. This will hold forever (?) -- for years, anyway.

theskull

My Manta's came with zip ties specifically for this purpose.

Ugh - I will be the first to admit I have a conflict of interest here, but why would anyone be interested in jury-rigging a 'solution' to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place?

Yeah I agree with Boogie. Why should the all-metal-last-forever-never-come-off-wonders-of-the-modern-scuba world...be attached with plastic cable ties???

But back on topic, I must be dumb but I still don't see a good way to attach them with ties. Around the post, cross one another, around the front of the clip and around the underside of the post? Best I have been able to come up with, but it seems clunky. Manta's "instructions" say nothing about this issue.

So if someone could describe where you wrap cable ties on your straps, I'd appreciate it, just so I can see if I want to keep them or not. Thanks!

Gregg

Boogie711:
Ugh - I will be the first to admit I have a conflict of interest here, but why would anyone be interested in jury-rigging a 'solution' to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place?

I believe the Manta clip-style attachment was originally designed for the AquaLung Rockets. It works perfectly on this post--mine have hundreds of dives on them. The jury-rig allows the straps to be used on other fins for which they were not really intended, and this works very well, also.

BTW--The attachment method you are using on the straps you make does look excellent and fool-proof for any make of post-style fins. Nice work!

theskull

I replaced the manta post adapters/buckles with stainless steel S-Hooks. No more problems.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom