Vaccinations - (Roatan) - Do you get them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addict

Contributor
Reaction score
We are traveling to Roatan for the second time in late March.

My question is this: Do you get the CDC recommended vaccinations prior to traveling there? Also, have you ever heard of any cases from fellow divers that have gone here?

CDC Recomended Vaccinations:
Hepatitsis A & B
Rabies
Typhoid
Yellow Fever
Malaria
Dengue
etc...

I never get the vaccinations and I have been going there since 1977, but I always stay at a resort and I don't go to the mainland or go off tromping through the jungles.

I don't know of anyone that has had any of the diseases that you mention.

It is a third world county and there is always a possibility I suppose.

parrotheaddiver:
I never get the vaccinations and I have been going there since 1977, but I always stay at a resort and I don't go to the mainland or go off tromping through the jungles.

I don't know of anyone that has had any of the diseases that you mention.

It is a third world county and there is always a possibility I suppose.

I completely agree with Parrothead. I have made 16 trips to Roatan and have never had nor heard of anyone having a problem, healthwise, other than the ocassional bout of "revenge" and even that is rare. I think that most of the advisories are for the mainland or remote areas and jungle environment. Have a great trip. I am planning to go there again in March or April and another quick visit from a cruise ship in November.

I had malaria tablets to take last time i was there - but forgot!! However 2 of our DM's had both had malaria in the last year!!! You should probably have Hep shots anyway - have heard of people with denge in honduras - not the bay islands though - dont think there is an anti denge innoculation anyway. Just keep spraying the bug juice and hopefully you'll be fine.

We have our Hep A shots. I know several people who've had malaria down here but nobody who lives here seems to get vaccinations. Everybody just does what they can to avoid being bitten by mosquitos. My husband had typhoid and dengue when we were living in Cozumel and Isla Mujeres, Mexico.

I live on the mainland. I´ve had dengue - absolutely horrid experience in spite of all precautions. I don´t use the anti malarials, I just try to avoid being biten while in malaria country (which is not my usual residence - we're a dengue problem area).

HepA.....if you plan on doing any sight seeing on the mainland, HepA might not be a bad idea. Two of my students had HepA right around Christmas time.

I have to agree that having the Hep A vaccine is just a good idea in general. You should have had a Hep B vaccine when you were a baby, so that's pretty much taken care of. If you're planning to go inland, take lots of bug spray (with DEET) and use it. Get the spray so you can spray it on your hair and clothing, in addition to your skin to create a barrier that the mosquitos will want to avoid.

As far as the others are concerned, you'll have to weigh your own feelings against the small risk of exposure. We're heading to Belize later this year and plan to go inland for 3 days (including going to Tikal), but will only do the bug spray thing (we already have the Hep vaccines) and be cautious about what we drink.

We never go to the mainland of Honduras and seldom ever leave the resort so have never bothered with any vacinations. If I planned to do any of the jungle or eco tours I'd probably consider it. We've been going to CCV since '98 and have never had more than a few no-seeum bites. Can't remember the last time I saw a mosquito there.

I never got the vaccinations or heard of any divers having a problem with those diseases, but I like to think the possibility of malaria makes for a good excuse for the occasional gin and tonic.

My husband and I go a lot to Roatan (about 2 months total just this last year). We have the Hep shots and had gotten the Typhoid shots a few years back when we went to South East Asia, but have never taken any other precautions other than DEET. We even spent a week on the mainland- mostly in Copan. We have no plans to get these vaccines- but talk to your doctor or a travel doctor, they can tell you if there is any special reason you may need them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom