Masks for the slimmer type of Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zilch

Contributor
Reaction score
:eyebrow: yeah i know, but i am finding it hard to find a mask that fits. I have a narrow face, and have tried oceanic site, seemed ok fitting in the shop, and on pool dives, but had constant leak (rapid fill) during dive in egypt, aborted the dive after 20 mins, as the right lens was always about half full. Used the one of the dive centres masks on the next dive, was slightly better, but still had to keep clearing it (really concious of it by now), not sure who made it. The dive centre suggested maybe i try a dragger, not had a chance yet, tried some tusa's at the NEC dive show, seemed the smaller the mask the more the frame intruded into my vision..any ideas any one..

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim

I too have a rather narrow face and I was luckly able to get 2 rather good mask to fit perfectly, the Aqualung/US Divers Maui mask (no frills and used by the military) and the Cressi Lince.

Other masks that might be good for narrow faces are the free diving masks like the Sporasub Samurai/Samurai Elite, and someone mentioned that the Sporasub Samurai, Cressi Superoccio, OMER Abyss, Mares and Picasso equivalent are made on the same moulds

Meaning same skirts but different lens and fittings.

Anyhow good luck in finding a good mask.

Btw, I'm going to post something like a fitting of masks so that in the future it gets easier to find the perfect mask.

SangP

Sorry I spelled your name wrong earlier

SangP:
Hi Jum

I too have a rather narrow face and I was luckly able to get 2 rather good mask to fit perfectly, the Aqualung/US Divers Maui mask (no frills and used by the military) and the Cressi Lince.

Other masks that might be good for narrow faces are the free diving masks like the Sporasub Samurai/Samurai Elite, and someone mentioned that the Sporasub Samurai, Cressi Superoccio, OMER Abyss, Mares and Picasso equivalent are made on the same moulds

Meaning same skirts but different lens and fittings.

Anyhow good luck in finding a good mask.

Btw, I'm going to post something like a fitting of masks so that in the future it gets easier to find the perfect mask.

SangP
Definitely agree with the low volume freediving masks. SangP even threw out some pretty good names. I dive Sporasub (I actually have a large face) but the fit is great. You'll likely only see these masks in black silicone though.

zilch:
: seemed ok fitting in the shop, and on pool dives, but had constant leak (rapid fill) during dive
Not an uncommon experience. I carry a mouthpiece when I'm trying on masks, or at least shove my tongue under my upper lip to simulate the face shape change that occurs when a reg is in my mouth. My face is so scrwany that my temples are concave. Best fitting mask so far is from Mares.

Another problem is those crevices (wrinkles) that run from the corners of my nose down past my lips. I just sort of mash them flat under the mask skirt before diving.

They make mouthpieces that you can mold to your teeth; and I'm waiting for them to make a mask skirt that you can mold to your face :) .

Good luck.

Hi,

Other than maybe your mask leaking at the seals I think the mask may be a little too big for you or the skirts are made of a very stiff material.

Here is a good review of some masks around:
http://www.divernet.com/equipment/masks2004/index.shtml

Btw I know my facial structure is best suited for masks that have an inner skirt of between 9.5cm (Cressi Lince) and 10.5 cm (US Divers Maui). I have tried the X vision 11.5cm too and although it is ok on my face I needed to inhale a little through my nose to get it to stick on my face.

What I think makes a mask fit great compared to a similar mask is the softness of the skirt as softer skirts really mold itself onto your face better and forms a better seal. Other little details like the position of the strap, how well the strap sits at the back of your head etc etc, all help in making a good fit great.

The last thing I might want to add is that if you find that the mask you have is leaking a bit on your dives, NEVER NEVER EVER over tighten the mask, all this will do is really squish the skirt all over the place and create more leaks, not to mention that you'll come outta the water looking like someone been pressing a cookie cutter on your face :lol:

SangP

thanks to everyone who has replied, and in particular bruce from Bonaire with the private mail... Will add these names to the list and have a look around next time i am
near a dive shop...l

Many thanks

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom