Niles Beach Fe. 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keelhaul123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The weather was just too inviting to ignore this weekend so I headed out to Cape Ann with two buddies with the intent to get wet. Unfortunately the Gods of wind were not cooperating and the seas even less so. The wind was puffing out of the north at about 10 knts, which isn't that bad, but the seas on just about all sides of the Cape were really kicking. As we drove 127 from Folly Cove on down the waves were rolling onto the shore on average 3-5 ft which made shore dives look like a No Go. We finally drove down to Niles and were greeted by dead flat water, protected by the breakwater as it is. The sun was shining and the air temps were in the mid 40's----PERFECT.
The water was a brisk 35 degrees---thank god for drysuits, and there was a bit of a surge. It was a good thing that the sun was bright, because as it was the vis was a solid 1-2 feet! If there wasn't any sunshine it would have been more like a night dive. But, it sure beat sitting home and not diving. I found an old milk bottle which is presently in the process of being soaked free of some of Cape Ann's sealife, and an old Healthways solid rubber fin (anyone lose it?). In short....21 fsw max...35 degrees water temp....34 minute total dive time. And to think three weeks ago I was in West Palm Beach!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom