Isle Royale in Lake Superior....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox Junkie

Great Lakes diver
Reaction score
I am originally from Michigan and now reside in In
# of dives
I just don't log dives
To all you cold water Wreck divers out there.

Has anyone dove Isle royale up in lake Superior aboard the RLT divers dive boat? I have never been to Isle Royale and was wanting to know if they let you bring a tent and sleep on shore at night instead of on the boat. The dive shop we have the charter set up with says that we can but I wanted some first hand answers. We will be there for five days. Thanks for any info you can send my way.

Jeff Great lakes diver

:huh:

Jeff,
Never been out with RLT. Did do "Superior Diver" and we had the option of sleeping ashore or aboard nearly every night. I imagine RLT would be the same. You might contact them directly.

By the way, got any info on RLT? I last heard "Superior Diver" wasn't running any more. Would be nice to have another contact. Isle Royale was a lot of fun. You'll have a good time.

Hi Rick

Actually the RLT diver is the same boat as the Superior diver. From what I heard Ralph the owner bought it and now runs his own charter in Isle Royale. I have a list of prices that he sent me and his email is rltdive@frontiernet.net. I hope that this helps. Thanks for the input. Where do they let folks camp out? And how does it all work? Do ya bring a tent, and what do you recommend? Just wondering. I am planning on camping. I am asking you since you dove on the same boat I will be on.

Thanks

Jeff Great lakes diver:snore:

Thanks LD

I will keep this in mind. I have had more than one person mention this fact. I will keep my now Kevlar tent closed from the outside world. (LOL) ;-0

Jeff Great lakes diver

Some of our crew slept in a tent they brought and the shelters that are available. 3 of us slept aboard. For heaven's sake, take repellant and a tent or mosquito netting. Our folks said the bugs didn't know whether to eat them there or carry them out. Their tent was ok, but the one shelter they stayed in had "mosquito leaks" somewhere. They reported a rough night. The shelters are like lean-tos that are tall enough to stand in and have screens, but...

Anyway, we dove during the day and tied up at different places each night. Thanks for the link. I knew Jackie was too busy to run the charter and was looking to bail out. It was definitely a great time.

Cool, LD

Sounds great. I cannot wait. One more thing. I know the boat has changed hands but the dive shop stated that we can do diving at night. were you able to do this, or did they shut the boat down at a certain time? I know the wrecks up there are awsome and the trip will probable go by very fast, but I am looking forward to it.

After the trip I will let you know how it went.

Jeff Great lakes diver:thinkingo

I would like to dive the great lakes some day does anyone have any information on dive shops and boats in the great lakes. Thanks.

:sharky:

I've also heard there are wolves on Isle Royal... and moose too. Sort of an interesting little ecosystem. That's biology class talking though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom