Best food in the oddest place....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neophytediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score

So, sitting here, thinking back over some of the more interesting places I've eaten and discovered that some of the best meals I've eaten have been in the most unlikely of places. For instance, the single greatest Chinese food I've ever eaten was on Okinawa. Now, it's not necessarily odd considering all the Chinese influences on the island, but it was still interesting that the best Chinese food I've ever eaten was in Japan.

Another, the single greatest Tex-Mex I've ever eaten wasn't in Texas, but in Oakland. Some little out of the way dive my Dad knew of from a friend of his.

What're your's?

It was in Hong Kong in 2000 (could have been 2001 :confused6). The night after our arrival, we went to this Indian place. The restraunt was up in an old apartment building that was accessed via a very old staircase, with such decorations as open circuit breaker boxes and some loose wires. So we're thinking, hmm just dandy, here we go with food poisoning.

But we got up to the restraunt, which turns out to be a very nice place. I got coconut shrimp, someone else got fish, and I forget the rest. The shrimp were cooked in a coconut broth of some kind, and then served in that broth. Extremely good shrimp! And they had this bread called handkerchief bread, which was really thin and absolutely wonderful.

Also the Amarillo airport has some really good pie, and Emeril's restraunt in the MGM Grand (Vegas) has some of the best banana cream pie around.

Best German food ever.....a place called Gerhardt's here in Terre Haute. :) Better than anything I've ever encountered at a restaurant anywhere, including in Germany! (Although nothing beats home-cooked German food)

The best Mexican food I have had is at a restaurant called "Red Iguana" in Salt Lake City. This is coming from someone from San Diego, where there is plenty of very good Mexican food. The food at Red Iguana focuses on Oaxacan cuisine, with very good mole sauces, and a lot more than typical California style burritos, tacos, enchiladas, etc.

I have since been trying to find an equivalent in California...

Oh, I forgot one. Some of the best pies in the country (and most surrounding countries) can be found here in this itty-bitty town of 401. And some really good mexican food if thats the special, and some really good 'normal' food too.

If anyone finds themselves in Danville, IN (a town just west of Indianapolis) I strongly recommend they check out the Mayberry Cafe (directly across from the courthouse; you can't miss it, they have one of the old Olds police cars (the ones with the 455 engine) out in front of the place. Excellent food!

If anyone finds themselves in Terre Haute (I apologize for the state of this town, not my fault, but I still feel bad) either check out Gerhardt's or a place called Mogger's located on Poplar Street (excellent food....).

Best cheeseburger I have found is in the airport on Grand Cayman.

Becky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom