diving the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nite_diver

Reaction score
planning on doing a trip to dive the Spiegel Grove and was wondering how many of my fellow divers could help make the trip a little more interesting. any recommendations on good places to stay, who does the best charter to go out there, and things to do in general after we do the dive. was planning on a long week end.

nite_diver

you will have a great time diving hte grove! Most of the local charters go out there- I don't really know who is any better than the other- depends what sort of boat you like. Seadwellers and ocean divers both have large spacious boats and are nice folks, scuba du and silent world are also nice folks and have mid size boats. I have never done the grove with a dinky six pack so someone else will have to comment on that.

Places to stay- again depends on your interests- The holiday Inn and ramada are both nice and right by the docks in key largo- bayside resort is nice too- more personal than chain and has an awesome beach area for sunsets- The Westin is also nice with a bayside view. I can't answer for islamadora or marathon of you choose ot base there.

Other than diving, the key largo thing is mostly sitting in a bar with a frosty drink watching the sunbset, then having a nice meal soemwhere and talking about diving :)
paradise!

When you going? how much do you want to spend on the hotel? you want fancy, or a place to sleep shower and store dive gear? want someone holding your hand while you dive or just saying dive dive dive, pools open?

I've done the Grove 3 times to date. Once with Slate's Atlantis, once with Tavernier D.C., and last time with Silent World. Atlantis & Silent World are both docked at same cove in the 106mm area. Atlantis shop is right there too. SIlent World shop is at 103mm. BOth seem to be good ops. We actually did a 5 trip (2 dives per trip) option with SW for $179 (by time taxes & surcharge for Grove were added in it was $202), which is VERY INEXPENSIVE. SW had 2 boats of 30 something feet, nice crews too. SW was more "hands off" as far as dive profiles. PRetty much "pool's open", but then again we had a boat full of DM's with recent deep and wreck experience. Slate's was more, "here is our program, GET WITH IT". WHich is OK too, as long as you are aware of it. Mike at Tavernier Dive (90 mm) is great. We use him annually for the whole week. He will customize trips if you bring 5 or 6 or more divers with you. Will let your group decide where the boat goes. We did a GROVE with him. It was A LONG BOAT RIDE from Tavernier. To make it worth the trip we did a long Suface Interval & then did a second dive on the Grove. It was GREAT, but the weather was VERY COOPERATIVE too.

Bottom line is after 4 dives on the Grove, I've still only seen the FRONT HALF of it. There are 7 bouys on it, as it is a BIG wreck. You get "pot luck" on which bouy you tie up to, because there is often a bunch of boats tied up and some waiting. You CANNOT SEE IT ALL in 1 (or 2 or 3) dive. If you go into it with that frame of mind (seeing it all) you will be disappointed. I THINK IT IS THE BEST WRECK in KL. I've done the DUANE & the EAGLE too. The Grove is hands down winner, IMHO. Duane & Bibb, can be great or dreadful depending on currents. Most often dreadful as current is usually ripping. Can go thru several thermals on way down too. (Note: If white caps are rolling off the bouy when you arrive at Duane, tell boat to take you somewhere else!)

As far as accomodations, yo u can stay at the "chains" like Holiday Inn or you can stay at mom & Pop "Keys style" places. Holiday Inn is nice and is almost always crowded (especially on weekends), but there prices are high (start at $150/night) too. Keys style places are more a sleeping room, but can be had from $50/night & up. Other than diving, there is not much to do. No real beaches in the Keys. Pennekamp Park has a man made one, which is small, but is on ly beach to hang out at. Restaurants & bars for eating and entertainment. But mostly time to sleep and get ready for next day's diving!

Mike

As far as Ops go, after diving with Diver's City (now in Tavernier), I can't imagine doing the Grove with anyone else.

I like the "six-pack" boats. I have used Quescience each time. They will go out with only four divers so its like having your own private charter. Plus, if you are diving the next day with them, you can rinse your gear and lock it up in their back room over night instead of luging it back to your room.

I agree with the other post about the fact you can see so little of it in one trip. Current can change and vis can go from 30 ft to 150 ft in minutes. Super neat dive to do.

Can't help on lodging , as I pull my camper down and live out of it.

I know there is a hotel next door and I am pretty sure they have something worked out in the way of a discount.

here is Q's link http://www.keylargodiving.com/#boat

I would also recommend going with Diver City in Tavernier..they are great operation and not expensive and they don't run cattle boats. there is also a hotel right next to them....that is very inexpensive i believe is the "The Keys Motel"....clean, nice and cheap.

Did you check the FL conch trips section?
we have 4 dives planned on the Grove next Friday the 18th.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom