DIRF and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, I'm scheduled for DIRF next week (finally)... and I read that classes are conducted at about 30 feet, and optionally with Nitrox.

Does a DIRF certification come with Nitrox cert as well? Just for the basic 32/36 rec mixes. Nothing technical. Or do you still need to go the Padi/Naui way just for basic Nitrox?

DIR-F doesn't give you a nitrox cert, but Rec TriOx does.

Mark

jplacson:
Ok, I'm scheduled for DIRF next week (finally)... and I read that classes are conducted at about 30 feet, and optionally with Nitrox.

Does a DIRF certification come with Nitrox cert as well? Just for the basic 32/36 rec mixes. Nothing technical. Or do you still need to go the Padi/Naui way just for basic Nitrox?
DIR-F Certification allows you to continue with GUE education...nothing more and nothing less.

jplacson:
Does a DIRF certification come with Nitrox cert as well?

No

jplacson:
Or do you still need to go the Padi/Naui way just for basic Nitrox?

Yes, if all you want is basic Nitrox certification.

To my concern, doing the DIR-F training dives on Nitrox is a waste of gas ... you won't go deeper than 30, and will spend most of your dive much shallower.

In my class, Brando had us doing our Basic 5 and CoG drills at about 10 fsw ... I figure he was challenging our buoyancy skills a bit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Like they said, NO EAN.

I've found that if I'm doing a lot of ascent drills or rescue drills, particularly rescue drills where I lose buoyancy that I feel really bad afterwards. I know that you're not really ongassing anything much from a buhlmann perspective, but it feels like I'm shaking up bubbles. I'm not so sure that EAN wouldn't buy you anything for DIRF or a rescue course...

A lot of folks say the same thing as Lamont, about feeling less than great after multiple ups and downs but at least in my class there wasent alot of ups and down as we only surface a couple of time during the dives if that.

BUT since the question was if DIR-F certed you in EAN, it dosent much matter. If you later do Tech 1 youll get EAN (and ADV EAN) so your going in saving 200bucks!

jplacson:
Ok, thanks guys. So GUE has a Rec Triox class as well? What does this class teach you, or what does it certify you for? Thanks!

Certs you for nitrox (40% or less) and 30/30 trimix in a non-deco environment.

"In this class, students will be trained in: a) the use of single or double back gas tanks/cylinders and in the potential failure problems associated with them; b) the use of Nitrox and TriOx for extended bottom times; and c) the use of Helium to minimize narcosis, CO2, gas density, and post-dive "nitrogen stress.""

How well accepted are the certs for GUE's rectriox? I'm wondering since the shops in my area have never heard of GUE (or DIR) until I told them a little about it. . . do most shops recognize credentials from agencies they are not familiar with?

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom