• Suunto Stinger

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Aeris Atmos 2

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Uwatec SmartPro

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm still stuck on which computer to get. I've looked at the features of these three computers and have my choices narrowed down to these, the Stinger (or Vyper, same thing in different case), Atmos 2, or SmartPro

Merits of each:

Stinger:
Pro: small size, Suunto product, push buttons instead of contacts
Con: small size, expensive, no detailed time-to-fly info, no nitrogen loading bar

Atmos 2:
Pro: big numbers, liberal algorithm, compact, nitrogen bar, desat time count
Con: arbitrary 24hr time-to-fly count

SmartPro
Pro: big display, real countdowns for fly time and desat, N2 bar, detailed deco info, adaptive algorithm
Con: Uwatec product, rather large, lick-and-click contacts (I can't work them), must have PC interface to change some settings, quite conservative

I'm not familiar with the computer downloading on any of those. Are any of them a USB connection? How about Mac compatable? I'd like to be able to fully use the computer without a pc interface if possible.

What are your experiences with these, and what opinions of them do you have?

Thanks!

I'm playing with a new Smart TEC right now and I'm pretty impressed.

Last computer was a Suunto Eon which worked great but pretty old tech these days.

I'm an Atmos 2 user and am quite happy with it. The arbitrary 24 hour countdown is hardly a bother, I wouldn't list it as a negative. It's quite user friendly and the large display does make it easier to read under water.

While I haven't used the dive downloader, I do believe this is a PC only interface unless you use Virtual PC on the Mac (which I haven't actually done). I am a Mac user myself and find this a bit unfortunate.

Oh, I think Scuba toys has the atmos 2 on sale if money is a factor.

I do like the easy to read layout of the Aeries computers. I was looking at the Atmos ai before I decided to spend a bit more on the Uwatec version.

teknitroxdiver:
I'm still stuck on which computer to get. I've looked at the features of these three computers and have my choices narrowed down to these, the Stinger (or Vyper, same thing in different case), Atmos 2, or SmartPro

Merits of each:

Stinger:
Pro: small size, Suunto product, push buttons instead of contacts
Con: small size, expensive, no detailed time-to-fly info, no nitrogen loading bar

Atmos 2:
Pro: big numbers, liberal algorithm, compact, nitrogen bar, desat time count
Con: arbitrary 24hr time-to-fly count

SmartPro
Pro: big display, real countdowns for fly time and desat, N2 bar, detailed deco info, adaptive algorithm
Con: Uwatec product, rather large, lick-and-click contacts (I can't work them), must have PC interface to change some settings, quite conservative

I'm not familiar with the computer downloading on any of those. Are any of them a USB connection? How about Mac compatable? I'd like to be able to fully use the computer without a pc interface if possible.

What are your experiences with these, and what opinions of them do you have?

Thanks!

Well,

I got an Atmos 2 for Christmas from my wife and after doing the demos and reading the manual (not to mention all the props it gets here on SB), I think I'm going to love this computer.

Also, I rented a Suunto Vyper for a 5 day dive trip to Ft. Lauderdale last summer and really enjoyed it. The downside to the Vyper is that the buttons are a little hard to push, which is a positive at depth so you don't accidentally change anything. Also, the cost factor. It is a little conservative, but I'm okay with that as I usually just dive the Padi RDP anyway.

Overall it would be hard to beat the Atmos 2 with a price around $300 for a fully functioning air/nitrox computer with pc interface capability. The Vyper at about $550 seems a bit much.

Whatever you decide check out scubatoys.com before you buy, great prices, great people and FULL manufacturer's warranty as he's a licensed retailer for everything he sells.

Hope I didn't silt up the waters any more than they already were.

Mike

Not familiar w/ Smart Pro, but re: the other three.
Stinger nice toy if you have good eyes and can see small digits.
Also I don't like having wrist computer as it is one more thing to get separated and lost. I like my computers either in a console or attached to HP hose.
Viper (own one), Most conservative computer I own. However, its digits are almost as large as Atmos2. With its 3 button design, its easy to navigate between different menus (and settings).
Atmos 2 is a pendilum swing from the Viper when it comes to conservatism. Large digits, easy to read, and w/2 button action fairly easy to navigate. I did have problem once, grain of sand got in the button and couldn't start it up, had to submerge and work it out underwater(in a bucket).

The downloads, haven't used either.

Diving the Smart Pro wrist. First one I have bought after renting consoles. I have about 45 dives on it, fresh lo vis, salt hi vis, night. In my limited experience, I am very happy with it. I have only touched other wrist computers in the store.

My Pros
I love the IR download and transfer the dive to a PDA, from there to desktop at home. The big numbers are a must for me, but that does incur a size penalty. Easy to read at night. (The 'light switch' is a bit awkward at first but gets easier with minimal practice.)

I love the wrist mount. Effortless to glance at, one less dangly to drag on things, easy to carry during SI for logging dives. I do not find the buttons and menus that difficult.

My Cons
I would prefer a different strap setup. The backlight timing should be a user set feature. And I would prefer a user replacable battery even though I have free factory replacement which will come with test/recalibration (suspect the short backlight time is related to battery life cycle costs).

scububa:
Diving the Smart Pro wrist. First one I have bought after renting consoles. I have about 45 dives on it, fresh lo vis, salt hi vis, night. In my limited experience, I am very happy with it. I have only touched other wrist computers in the store.

My Pros
I love the IR download and transfer the dive to a PDA, from there to desktop at home. The big numbers are a must for me, but that does incur a size penalty. Easy to read at night. (The 'light switch' is a bit awkward at first but gets easier with minimal practice.)

I love the wrist mount. Effortless to glance at, one less dangly to drag on things, easy to carry during SI for logging dives. I do not find the buttons and menus that difficult.

My Cons
I would prefer a different strap setup. The backlight timing should be a user set feature. And I would prefer a user replacable battery even though I have free factory replacement which will come with test/recalibration (suspect the short backlight time is related to battery life cycle costs).
I am not sure it would apply to your computer but my airZ can supposedly adjust the backlight setting so its possible there is a way.

Have you considered the Citizen Cyber Aqualand NX. Does Nitrox, deco stops, built-in infra-red for connection to PC (works great) and has a built-in rechargable battery.

Works a treat though I'm biased as I have one :)

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom