Roatan or Utilia? is there a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all...

I am looking into taking on a Honduras divetrip with me and a buddy of mine...

Doing some research, I've not seen too much difference in Roatan or Utila.....

Is there any expierence out there that will help me decide between the two....???

To help me, I'll give you some info....

About me....

I'm an expierenced diver with about 150 dives under my belt....so Ive been diving for awhile...

As for my buddy....he only has about 15 dives under his belt....

CoCo view in Utila looks promising.....

Any help will be deeply appreciated..!!

NightRaven77 :banana:

NightRaven77:

CCV is is on the island of Roatan. It is a great place to go if you just want to dive, but it does have more topside activities than Utila.

Utila on the other hand is like Roatan used to be 25 years ago.

Hi

If you go to Roatan CoCo View is one of the best and it has many many supporters on this board.

I think what island depends on what you want, if you are diving all day its not going to matter, Roatan has more activities, Utila is a quieter place.

ell us more what you are looking for and i am sure all the people on here will try to help.

Ok....

My problem is this....

My buddy doesnt have that many dives (around 15)......I on the other hand have 150....so im the expierenced diver.....

My buddy has taken an intrest in Bonaire.....I on the other hand just recently went to Bonaire......dont get me wrong...Bonaire is awesome....but I want to explore a new area I havent been to yet...

Being the expierenced diver...my buddy has left all the decision making to me as to where to go....so....

I want to find a good place that I havent been to yet and has some easy diving for my buddy to get some dives under his belt...and have some challenging dives for myself so I can be my moneys worth.....

This is why I was looking at the Bay Islands...

The area looks like it has decent shore diving for my buddy to start since he isnt too keen on the boat thing yet....not that he gets sea sick....but just he isnt comfortable yet on a crowded boat that is on a time schedule and therefore he gets rushed ....I want to avoid this...so he gets comfortable...Me on the other hand can slip into my dive gear like Bruce Wayne seeing the Bat signal.....BANG!!! POW!!! Im ready to go!:crafty:

I was even looking at maybe even a Liveaboard..???? Not too much of a rush...easy diving....and lots of it...

I was just looking at the 2 islands.....Utila or Roatan...or even the liveaboard....

I just want to do the right thing for my buddy....and to have a good time to remember as well......

Thanks for the insight guys...!!

NightRaven77 :33:

The shore diving IMO at CCV is the best in the Bay islands. Very easy entry just walk in the water ck out the webcam that shows you the walkway to the dive platform http://www.cocoviewresort.com/cam.html There are two walls to explore and a shipwreck the Prince Albert right there in the "Front yard". Their boats are 4-50' long lots of room usually on 12-14 divers per boat. You will have plenty of room on the boats it has three exit points and two entry points one at the dive deck at the back of the boats and a moonhatch in the center of the boats http://www.cocoviewresort.com/boats.html

If you think he may be uneasy about a boat dive you may not want to start him off on a liveaboard. If the seas get rough and he is prone to seasickness if wouldn't be much fun.

NightRaven77:
Hello all...

I am looking into taking on a Honduras divetrip with me and a buddy of mine...

Doing some research, I've not seen too much difference in Roatan or Utila.....

Is there any expierence out there that will help me decide between the two....???

To help me, I'll give you some info....

About me....

I'm an expierenced diver with about 150 dives under my belt....so Ive been diving for awhile...

As for my buddy....he only has about 15 dives under his belt....

Any help will be deeply appreciated..!!

NightRaven77 :banana:

Raven,

I'm in Utila as I write....I agree with Parrothead.....take your buddy to Cocoview. You can do anything from wading to more advanced stuff. There is no night action there to speak of. One must go off site to do any of that. So you wanna dive or party??? Go to CCV, your buddy will be comfortable there and yoju will have a great time.

Regards,

good info on this thread, and sorry to butt in...

does anyone know anything about the Caribbean Dreams Hotel in Roatan?
it's awfully cheap.

Ditto on CoCo View. You can't get more laid back or easier shore diving. It would be perfect for your newbie buddy. In fact lots of us old salts will skip the boats dive in favor of the shore diving. He won't have any pressure to keep a schedule and the diving is as easy as gearing up, walking about 40-50 yds to the waters edge and wading in.

As 'Cuda mentioned, there's no regular night life at CCV other than what you can make yourself. But there are excursions planned for dining out some evening and day excursions can always be done. Keep in mind that CCV is on an island of it's own and but it's easy to arrange for a boat to take you to the dock on the other side of the channel to catch a cab or get a rental.

Cudabait:
Raven,

I'm in Utila as I write....I agree with Parrothead.....take your buddy to Cocoview. You can do anything from wading to more advanced stuff. There is no night action there to speak of. One must go off site to do any of that. So you wanna dive or party??? Go to CCV, your buddy will be comfortable there and yoju will have a great time.

Regards,

Hi Cudabait how's your 6 week vacation going? Hoped we would get a report from you while you were there.

Edit to this post I saw your report in the TSD forum should have look there first :wink:

I'm new here but have a similar question as NightRaven re: Utila vs. Roatan. We're planning a trip to Utila in May. We've never dove Bay Islands so we're considering a few days in Roatan. Is the extra travel, loss of dive day and extra expense worth the experience of visiting both islands? Utila dive days would drop from 6 to 4. From what I've read Roatan offers the big wreck "Odyssey", diving with dolphins and the shark encounter. Of course, knowing my luck, by leaving Utila early we would end up missing the only Whale Shark sighting of the week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom