Nikon D70

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Can anyone help me out? Thinking of getting a Nikon D70 and a Nexus housing for it. What light system should I get with that? Any suggestions?

I use a D70 in a Nexus housing with 2 Inon Z220 strobes. The following photos were shot with this system:

North Sulawesi

I am very happy with this sysytem. As far as DSLR's go, it is a very compact system. Also, the Inon's pack alot of punch for there size.

If you have any specific questions.....ask away.

Dave

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum, new to diving and know very little about photography. My husband is the photographer and he just got a Nikon D70. Since we are taking a diving course, I thought I could get him a housing for his camera, I may look better under water...

I read these specs about this new housing from Fantasea. It seems like a good deal since it includes free insurance for the first year.

Here's the link, I'd be interested in some comments from "experts":

Fantasea Housing Review

Thanks.

dbh:
I use a D70 in a Nexus housing with 2 Inon Z220 strobes. The following photos were shot with this system:

North Sulawesi

I am very happy with this sysytem. As far as DSLR's go, it is a very compact system. Also, the Inon's pack alot of punch for there size.

If you have any specific questions.....ask away.

Dave

Good work on the Indo-Pacific trip. Were you diving around Manado, and how many dives total? Any problems with the diving or travelling there?

Dive Safe

camerabugged:
Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum, new to diving and know very little about photography. My husband is the photographer and he just got a Nikon D70. Since we are taking a diving course, I thought I could get him a housing for his camera, I may look better under water...

I read these specs about this new housing from Fantasea. It seems like a good deal since it includes free insurance for the first year.

Here's the link, I'd be interested in some comments from "experts":

Fantasea Housing Review

Thanks.

I would forget fantasea at least currently. From the website, looks like Fantasea only support the 60mm, 105mm, 18-70mm and sigma 15mm/Nikon 16mm wide angle lenses.
That's pretty limited, especially when the 12-24mm Nikon wide angle lens is probably one of the most popular lens for D70/D100 for underwater photography and not to forget the 10.5mm either. On Macro side, there is also the 70-180mm lens that might be useful as well. I would spend a bit more money on a housing that will support wider range of lenses so that in the future, you will not be stuck with an inflexible system.

If you and your husband just started diving, I would also forget about underwater photography for awhile until you are more comfortable underwater. UW photography is pretty involving and the gear (especially dSLR) is bulky so I would wait until he is a bit more self sufficient underwater first.

Shaff:
Can anyone help me out? Thinking of getting a Nikon D70 and a Nexus housing for it. What light system should I get with that? Any suggestions?

My dive buddy uses the Nexus housing which is pretty nice. Probably the most compact D70 housing on the market currently. The only downside of Nexus is that once the camera sits in the housing, it does not come off so easily unlike Sea and Sea where the camera slide in and out in a second. So if you need to get your camera in a hurry (say, a whale swims by the boat...), Nexus is not going to be your friend for that. For wide angle, Nexus has dedicated port for each lens so you will need to carry quite a few ports if you have the 18-70, 12-24mm and 10.5mm. Theoretically it sounds good but a bit of a pain to have to carry all of those.

Strobewise, personally I prefer Ikelite DS125 with manual controller. It has a strong modeling light that is good enough to use as lightsource for night dive. The light is warmer than Inon but it is bulkier and heavier also.

f3nikon:
Good work on the Indo-Pacific trip. Were you diving around Manado, and how many dives total? Any problems with the diving or travelling there?

Dive Safe

Here is a trip report that will answer most of your questions:

North Sulawesi Serenade

If you have any others...ask away. EVERYONE there was very friendly and accomodating. No problems getting in or out of the country...except it is a LONG ways away!

ssra30:
My dive buddy uses the Nexus housing which is pretty nice. Probably the most compact D70 housing on the market currently. The only downside of Nexus is that once the camera sits in the housing, it does not come off so easily unlike Sea and Sea where the camera slide in and out in a second. So if you need to get your camera in a hurry (say, a whale swims by the boat...), Nexus is not going to be your friend for that. For wide angle, Nexus has dedicated port for each lens so you will need to carry quite a few ports if you have the 18-70, 12-24mm and 10.5mm. Theoretically it sounds good but a bit of a pain to have to carry all of those.

Strobewise, personally I prefer Ikelite DS125 with manual controller. It has a strong modeling light that is good enough to use as lightsource for night dive. The light is warmer than Inon but it is bulkier and heavier also.

Actually the 18-70 and 12-24 use the same port. You need a +4 diopter on the 18-70. I have 2 D70 bodies so a quick shot is not a problem. I would rather have a compact housing for the other 99.99999999999999999999999999% of the time when you don't see that whale swim by :).

dbh:
Actually the 18-70 and 12-24 use the same port. You need a +4 diopter on the 18-70. I have 2 D70 bodies so a quick shot is not a problem. I would rather have a compact housing for the other 99.99999999999999999999999999% of the time when you don't see that whale swim by :).

My divebuddy also ended up having 2 D70 bodies as well. I got my Sea and Sea housing before Nexus released its housing. I suppose if I have to do it all over again, it would probably be Nexus but as is, the benefit of switching from Sea and Sea to Nexus is not worth all the hassle and expenses. BTW, Sea and Sea is quite a bit bigger but weight about the same as Nexus both onland and underwater so maneuverability is about the same. Wish Sea and Sea has the autofocus/manual switch like the Nexus though.

ssra30:
I would forget fantasea at least currently. From the website, looks like Fantasea only support the 60mm, 105mm, 18-70mm and sigma 15mm/Nikon 16mm wide angle lenses.
I would spend a bit more money on a housing that will support wider range of lenses so that in the future, you will not be stuck with an inflexible system.

I would jump on the Fantesea (in fact I am considering it in the future) as it will support MOST of the lenses that one would use (the 12-24mm is the same size and configuration as the 18-70mm, so the port should work), it's about $400 less than the Ikelite with port, and looks like a good solution.

As for inflexibility, IMO the CAMERA body is the limiting factor. Let's face it, digital has changed the equipment landscape for SLR's, drastically!! There was a time when one would purchase an SLR body, and not even consider an upgrade for at LEAST 5 years, and more often a decade (I still shoot with my 15+ year old F4s).

Enter the digital world. The D70 was released last year and will likely be replaced within year, maybe 3 tops. Plopping down 2K on a housing, and then having a body that is out of production and not available new is something to consider. You can BET that the D70 replacement will NOT have the same configuration as the D70, and then one has a VERY expensive housing that while is still very usable, when/if the camera floods, it could become difficult to find a good replacement body.

So while lens ports and options is a VERY valid consideration for those that have glass on hand, I'd really not worry too much about the more limited selection of Fantasea ports as they will likely add more. I'd go for the least expensive option that provides good protection for the body, and allows for the use of lenses and flash equipment that you want.

ONE reason IMO to consider the Ikelite is that they will have TTL on the market later this year for the D70 (and I assume all iTTL camera's forward). If one is a manual strobe setting shooter by choice, than this is not a factor.

Back
Top Bottom