Tanya Streeter US Discovery Channel tonight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive4air

Registered
Reaction score
Tanya Streeter, is on Discovery Channel tonight, in the US broadcast, on a Free Diving show. I am a scuba guy myself, but i think this is still interesting.

Dive4air:
Tanya Streeter, is on Discovery Channel tonight, in the US broadcast, on a Free Diving show. I am a scuba guy myself, but i think this is still interesting.
Thanks for the info. I did a freediving clinic with Tanya, she is very talented.

just watched this. i didnt know she lived in austin texas! i saw the screen and was like, "that looks like the dam in ausin where we dive" and sure enough it was. really interesteing show. biggest surprise, longest held breath was 8 minutes and 4 seconds :rocker:

Dive4air:
I watched this last night, it was pretty cool stuff. I was curious, if you can clear your ears OK, does it otherwise hurt free diving down to 200 ft? Does it hurt having your lungs squished down so much? Also, I assume he's blowing air through his nose to prevent mask squeeze, when at 200 feet doesn't that use up a chunck of what little air volume your lungs have left?

Also, I forget the term, something like shallow water blackout, but they said when returning back to shallow depths the lungs were sucking oxygen back from the body? Whats up with that! :11:

Pretty crazy when you can voluntarily hold your breath till black out!

Thanks,
Jason

I assume the mask thing is not too much of an issue because if you noticed it was a pretty low volume mask.

As far as the lung goes, my understanding is that as the lungs start to expand back up on the ascent, they need to fill back up with oxygen that's in the body because blood and everything else is recirculating to normal pressure points. This may cause the blood to rush quickly from the brain and heart if it's not done properly and therefore causes the shallow water black-out.

I thought it was fascinating that you can consciously control your heart rythm to the point of overcoming the natural instinct to breathe. It's like these guys go into the pre-death tunnel vision, but they are able to bring themselves back out of it. Ever see the movie flatliners? This gets close. So much for people who see the bright lights in near death experience...

I thought it was very educational, and amazed me to hear the records that are out there. Most importantly, it made we want to go to Cyprus and dive...that water was amazigly clear.

Dive4air:
I thought it was fascinating that you can consciously control your heart rythm to the point of overcoming the natural instinct to breathe. It's like these guys go into the pre-death tunnel vision, but they are able to bring themselves back out of it. Ever see the movie flatliners? This gets close. So much for people who see the bright lights in near death experience...

The human body is pretty amazing. I wear a heart rate monitor and have learned to consciously control my heart rate (biofeedback, lots of great books on this subject). In fact, did you know that by simply taking a certain body position, you can "trick" your heart into slowing down? For me it slows from upper 60's to low 50's when I relax in this position. When you consciously do this throughout the day, you are getting your body accustomed to that cue. Before long you can think "heart rate is slowing" and sure enough it will. This is the power of suggestion. Not magic, but scientifically proven fact.

I am in no way in the same league as Tanya but to answer some of the questions. Usually with a record breath hold dive or very deep dive the diver has a low volume mask and floods the mask so that no air is needed to equalize. Some just deal with the mask squeeze but since you are not realy going down to look at anything that is kind of silly.
Shallow water black out is from the affect of preassure at depth which effectively ads an atmosphere to the affects of gases for each 33 ft. In simple terms your body needs about 15% 02 to keep you from blacking out. At 200' that is seven ATM's compared to one at the surface. Since you are breath holding you are using up 02 during the dive. At 200' you could be down to 10% 02 in your body but the affects at a depth of 200' is like having 70% 02. When you come back up, at around 15' this low 02 will now cause you to black out since this is where you drop below the 15% threshold. Hence it is called shallow water black out.
Free divers tend not to equalize the ears by way of pinching the nose and blowing since this wastes energy, we usually roll our jaw which with practice works just as well.

Bobby F:
Shallow water black out is from the affect of preassure at depth which effectively ads an atmosphere to the affects of gases for each 33 ft. In simple terms your body needs about 15% 02 to keep you from blacking out. At 200' that is seven ATM's compared to one at the surface. Since you are breath holding you are using up 02 during the dive. At 200' you could be down to 10% 02 in your body but the affects at a depth of 200' is like having 70% 02. When you come back up, at around 15' this low 02 will now cause you to black out since this is where you drop below the 15% threshold. Hence it is called shallow water black out.
Free divers tend not to equalize the ears by way of pinching the nose and blowing since this wastes energy, we usually roll our jaw which with practice works just as well.
hey BobbyF, great response. There are actually three different types of blackout in the sport of freediving, they are as follows:

SHALLOW WATER BLACKOUT -- a state of unconsciousness preceded by carbon dioxide retention. Unconsciousness strikes most commonly within 15 feet (five meters) of the surface, where expanding, oxygen-hungry lungs literally suck oxygen from the divers blood.

BREATH-HOLD BLACKOUT -- a state of unconsciousness preceded by the gradual onset of hypoxia; risk is compounded by hyperventilation or increased (shallow) underwater activity.

ASCENT BLACKOUT -- a state of unconsciousness preceded by sudden onset of hypoxia during ascent; risk is compounded by hyperventilation or increased (shallow) underwater activity.
As far as equalizing, unless you are really efficient with the process, it does waste energy. I have not mastered the hands free technique so I equalize the old fashioned way and sometimes I use a nose clip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom