Chester Poling: Casting Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeaceDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
To the NELD and anyone else:

I am looking for some divers who were involved in the initial couple years' of exploration on the Chester Poling. Paul Adler was one, and I know there are several others out there who dove the wreck before and right after its coordinates changed due to the Blizzard of '78. This is in regards to a film production associated with the Poling.

If anyone knows how to contact some of those divers, please PM me as soon as possible.

Also, I am looking for divers who are willing to be part of this production that have considerable experience diving the wreck over the last few years and who enjoy diving it still.

Anyone with photos, artifacts of any kind found at or on the Poling (actual Poling artifacts or things like pipe stems, etc.) are also highly sought after.

Production will start on this project probably within the next month and run through August.

PeaceDog:

I am looking for some divers who were involved in the initial couple years' of exploration on the Chester Poling. Paul Adler was one, and I know there are several others out there who dove the wreck before and right after its coordinates changed due to the Blizzard of '78. This is in regards to a film production associated with the Poling.

If anyone knows how to contact some of those divers, please PM me as soon as possible.

Also, I am looking for divers who are willing to be part of this production that have considerable experience diving the wreck over the last few years and who enjoy diving it still.

Anyone with photos, artifacts of any kind found at or on the Poling (actual Poling artifacts or things like pipe stems, etc.) are also highly sought after.

Production will start on this project probably within the next month and run through August.

Are you going to Sea Rovers - last year someone had a bunch of artfacts from the Poling.

The person you NEED to cotact is Dave Clancy at www.wreckhunter.net

The poling is a great wreck. I'm out hurt right now, but I've dove her a bunch of times and she's always been fun. I miss swimming along that anenome covered cat walk.

Please, just don't show a bunch of goofball divers going inside her with single tanks and vacation gear. Show serious, squared away NE divers.

This particular production is meant to be a retrospective on the wreck; we're actually coming up very soon on the 25th anniversary of her sinking. Focus is on the story of her sinking, movement from the Blizzard of '78, environmental shifts in the waters she sits in and changes in the sport (and in her condition) since she went down.

Those of us working on the film realise the Poling doesn't have the mystique and legend that the Andrea Doria or even the U-853 have, but there's definitely a story to be told about her and the divers that continue to descend that mooring line to her every year.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks MASS for the tip-off about Dave. I'll be contacting him shortly!

Hey - not all single-tankers are goofballs!!
Not everyone has the money or the inclination to become double-tankers and they can still be very competent NE divers...

PeaceDog:

There are definitely top dog divers around here that have more dives on the Poling than many of us have lifetime dives. I'm sure Dave/Heather Knowles, Tom Huff, Paul Adler, etc. would have it all covered from the experience perspective.

I still enjoy this wreck for day and night dives. Like many sites around here you can dive it 5 times and have 5 different experiences. The largest sea life I have ever seen in NE were at the Poling (large Cod/Pollock and Lobzilla). If only I had a camera on these dives for proof...

--Matt

minigirl:
Hey - not all single-tankers are goofballs!!
Not everyone has the money or the inclination to become double-tankers and they can still be very competent NE divers...

Re-read my post, I wrote, "Please, just don't show a bunch of goofball divers going inside her with single tanks and vacation gear." I could have added, as shown on the TV show "Divers Down" when divers with single 80s swam through the wreck.

Any know the fatality count on the Poling, is it just one?

MASS-Diver:
Re-read my post, I wrote, "Please, just don't show a bunch of goofball divers going inside her with single tanks and vacation gear." I could have added, as shown on the TV show "Divers Down" when divers with single 80s swam through the wreck.

Won't happen.

MASS-Diver:
Any know the fatality count on the Poling, is it just one?

To the best of my knowledge, it's 1 crewman & 2 divers. This is something I'd like to lightly touch on but don't really know how it's going to play out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom