Uwatec Smart Com?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReaperFive

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking into buying a new computer, and I've been considering the Uwatec Smart Com. I'd like to hear some opinions on the Smart Com or Smart Pro from someone with experience using them. Advantages? Disadvantages? Better alternatives? Completely random comments?

Thanks,

R5

Okay, for real. I dive with a Smart Com computer. I like it very very very much. I have just over 600 dives on mine, and am getting ready to send it back for my free battery and diagnostics. I'll be sad while it's gone, but it will only be a couple of weeks. I'm trying to think of anything bad to say about it... maybe the backlight is kinda tricky. Ooh, sometimes you have to dry it off between dives so that you can set your next mix. That's about all the bad stuff.
Now for the good. It is extremely powerful for a dive computer. It has a 32 bit processor and samples every 4 seconds. The algorithym is nice too, an adaptive Buhlmann. Keeps you safe, but also gives you credit for acting right. It has an IR port, so you don't need special cables or hardware to download it to your computer, and the software is awesome. Nitrox programable from 21 to 100% in 1% increments. I could go on and on, but ScubaPro does it better.

Have had many problems w/my scuba pro smart com...#1 they can break real easy.. After the 876 dive got out of the water same as allways and when I looked @ the comp. it was cracked but still working...I sent it to scuba pro and the said the would not fix or replace it...Im sure happy that I used it as a spare anyway...Buy an Oceanic... I have dove w/ a data pro + for 7 years and its never failed me....And another thing they stand behind there goods not like scuba pro...... dont trust your life w/junk

The only good thing I can say about my smart com is that after a year of diving and getting that scratched and used look there was a recall and I got a brand new one. It's a damn good thing the batteries are free for life as I've gone through four battery changes in two years and rather then fixing the problem with the computer, Scubapro just replaces the battery and a get it back and watch the battery drain at rediculous speeds, sometimes more then a percent a dive. I have since changed to a Suunto Vytec and a suunto stinger forback up, and honestly could not be happier.

I'm onto my second one. The first one started behaving very oddly after only about 10 dives (eg alarms going off without reason, weird readings). Then it just didn't work one day when I attached it. Sent it back to SP, who "fixed" it and sent it back to me. Worked for a couple if dives then stopped working. I sent it back and told them i wanted a new one or a refund. They sent me a new one and so far, knock on wood, it has been fine. But I always take a backup Vyper and a spare SPG with me. I like the smart com in theory and it's great when you are 100% confident in it but ...

The computer itself is very nice but I have a few problems. After about 200 odd dives with it, I still don't seem to master turning on the backlight easily.
It is a noisy computer as you can't turn off all the audible alarm which is quite annoying sometimes.
Depending on your location, if you have to rely on Uwatec Asia then stay away from Uwatec like a plague since it will take them 3 months just to change the battery. By the time I need new batteries, I will most likely get a new non Uwatec dive computer and either use Uwatec as a backup or something.

Back
Top Bottom