Volo or Volo Race?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deus

Registered
Reaction score
I am still new to diving. (7 dives) I am looking for new fins. I do tropical up to 100 ft. Next trip Belize. Would Volo or Volo Race be a better choice for someone new?

Also any tips on a good mask?

I don't know anything about the Volo fins, but as for a mask, I recommend the black skirted SeaVision masks. For some reason the black skirted mask seem to fit better.

Quarrior:
I don't know anything about the Volo fins, but as for a mask, I recommend the black skirted SeaVision masks. For some reason the black skirted mask seem to fit better.
Thanks for the tip on the mask!!

Anyone else on the fins? Look slike the Volo Power are a solid choice. Is there anywhere in the US that I can ge them in yellow? Looks like only UK has yellow?

Deus,

I have been using the Volo Race for over a year now and it's a very good fin. Easy on the legs but lots of power and control. The only difference between the fins is the foot style, the blades are the same. If you will only be doing tropical diving and do not have to use boots then the Race is practical. If you ever want to go cold water which will require boots you may want to choose the Volo Power. I still prefer my Avanti Quatros, but the Volos are very good. Good luck with your search.

Dive SMart;Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

I recently switched from Dacor Tiger to Volo Power fins in anticipation of a dive trip that I knew might have some longer swims. I have to say I was pleasantly impressed with the speed & maneuverability these fins give you. There is power, yet control in a variety of finning styles: sculling, backwards, forwards, you name it.

However, the locks they put on the flip-clamp system suck! I have no idea why they had to mess with a perfectly good design by adding these little red "locking tabs" that are more hinderance than help. In the end, not only did I have them removed from the flip-clamp, but another person who just got Volos in our dive group did the same.

There ya go,

My wife has been diving with Volo Race for a year. She loved finning with it but hated having to put it on. Though full foot fins she still uses booties with it. She bought me a pair of Volo Power for Xmas and got envious with the slip-in action. We're now shopping around for Volo Power for her. I'll be keeping the Race for barefoot snorkeling. BTW, I also find the Power very good. I used to have a stiff fin that was too hard on my legs. Now I feel I get the same output with less effort from my legs. Blade design between Power and Race are the same.

There is a difference between the Volos, Volo Power and the Volo Race. The Volo is the old style fin with the shorter paddle. I own a pair of them, and while I don't use them much (they're a bit too soft for me, so I now use my SP JetFins), I liked them when I did use them. The Volo Race is the same paddle as the Volo Power, only full foot. Personally, I'm biased towards open foot; I only had a pair of full foot fins during my OW certification dives. There are more advantages than disadvantages to the open heel, IMHO. In the end it's a matter of preference.

As far as masks is concerned, I'm a faithful to my Sea Vision. Nothing better than the color correcting lenses for warm, tropical diving!

On saturday I watched a diver take his brand new Mares Volo power fins into the water, walked in chest deep, put his fins on and as a swell picked him up he came back down on the tip of the fin, the plastic (colored stripe across blade) snapped across the blade causing the fin to go pretty much limp. This occured just above where the holes are. Nice to know if you are looking into buying this fin. They lasted a total of about 3 minutes in the ocean.

Justin699:
On saturday I watched a diver take his brand new Mares Volo power fins into the water, walked in chest deep, put his fins on and as a swell picked him up he came back down on the tip of the fin, the plastic (colored stripe across blade) snapped across the blade causing the fin to go pretty much limp. This occured just above where the holes are. Nice to know if you are looking into buying this fin. They lasted a total of about 3 minutes in the ocean.

Justin, after having the Dacor Tigers for the last 5 years (which are VERY similar in design) with literally HUNDREDS of dives on them in a multitude of open water conditions, I think I can honestly say this was a freak occurrance.

Frankly, I can't recall ever coming down on the TIPS of my fins in a situation such as you described. It doesn't seem like a natural fin position at all.

JMHO, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom