TUSA IQ-700, Dive Rite NiTek Duo, Apeks Quantum, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have picked up a TUSA IQ-700 as a backup to my Dive Rite NiTek3 (we'll get to Bikini Atoll maybe next year). I also like having a bit largerdive log memory. I've printed and read the manuals for the Tusa IQ-700, DiveRite NiTek Duo, and Apeks Quantum, as well as my NiTek3, and found something inconsistent in the literature.

The NiTek3 and NiTek Duo documentation states the algorithm uses 9 theoretical tissue compartments. The Apeks Quantum documentation states the algorithm uses 12 theoretical tissue compartments. The Tusa IQ-700 has the most poorly (translated?) written English language manual of these four, and doesn't really state how many theoretical tissue compartments are used by the algorithm in the manual, but the Tusa advertising states the IQ-700 and IQ-800 use 12 theoretical tissue compartments.

I thought all 4 of these dive computers used the same algorithm, and were manufactured by Seiko. So, I'm a bit confused regarding the documentation differences. Anybody know the full story (Larry of Scubatoys fame for instance)?

WarmWaterDiver:
I have picked up a TUSA IQ-700 as a backup to my Dive Rite NiTek3 (we'll get to Bikini Atoll maybe next year). I also like having a bit largerdive log memory. I've printed and read the manuals for the Tusa IQ-700, DiveRite NiTek Duo, and Apeks Quantum, as well as my NiTek3, and found something inconsistent in the literature.

The NiTek3 and NiTek Duo documentation states the algorithm uses 9 theoretical tissue compartments. The Apeks Quantum documentation states the algorithm uses 12 theoretical tissue compartments. The Tusa IQ-700 has the most poorly (translated?) written English language manual of these four, and doesn't really state how many theoretical tissue compartments are used by the algorithm in the manual, but the Tusa advertising states the IQ-700 and IQ-800 use 12 theoretical tissue compartments.

I thought all 4 of these dive computers used the same algorithm, and were manufactured by Seiko. So, I'm a bit confused regarding the documentation differences. Anybody know the full story (Larry of Scubatoys fame for instance)?
I thought I was a keener reading the manuals of all the computers I was considering before I bought my Apeks Quantum, but I missed that. Guess I didn't read the manual about the Dive Rite close enough. (My bad.) I also thought these computers were supposed to be exactly the same. I wonder if the Dive Rite manual is incorrect.

The computers are all exactly the same, so one of the manuals is goofed up. Not sure which is right though....

I put the Tusa IQ-700 and the NiTek3, both in 21% O2 mix, and 'Plan' mode side by side yesterday. There are a few spots in the middle depths where the NiTek3 shows 1 more minute no-deco time available than the IQ-700, but I attribute that to someone going over things with a keener eye in the time between when the NiTek 3 was released and now, and deciding on rounding down, instead of up, on fractional minutes (my educated guess). This very close match makes me think they do indeed all use the same algorithm, but someone missed something somewhere else in translation / advertising. Since Dive Rite's been selling dive computers using this algorithm for quite a while, I'd tend to think they may be the ones who are correct, but at this point who really knows? I don't have a beef with the algorithm itself, but I'd hope the folks marketing it and programming it for all 3 companies would know the difference between 9 and 12!

Maybe this thread belongs more in the forum for "Q&A From Your Manufacturers" to get a nibble from someone who can answer? I'll let a moderator decide if they read this post.

Back
Top Bottom