Palau BBE: North American plug type?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think palau was the standard American 2 flat prong type - it's amazing how fast you forget things. Below is the website that I usually look things up on. Unfortunately they did not have palau. If you are booked on BBE, I'd just send them an email ...

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

Why do I ask these useful questions, when I know the only responses are to "where in the world should I dive" questions.

Shasta_man:
Are the electrical plugs in Palau the North American two flat prong type?

Thanks

We did the Big Blue Explorer (if that's what you mean by BBE) in 2002. We had no issues as i recall with recharging lights, cameras etc.

I know for sure that the camera room has US type plugs and power. I don't recall if the rest of the ship was US standard or not. I don't think it was but don't recall it causing any problems. We did all our recharging in the camera room.

Now if you use an electric razor you might have a problem. :wink:

On the land in Palau electricity is the standard north american 2-prong 110VAC (60 cycles). They even wire 220VAC into these 110 outlets for Airconditioning (not many codes followed there).

Power is failly reliable, but I would shy away from plugging very expensive things in without a decent surge suppressor. A laptop should be fine with just its transformer, and battery chargers are OK.

I have gone to Palau for the last 6 years and Kevink is 100% correct.

Shasta_man:
Are the electrical plugs in Palau the North American two flat prong type?

Thanks
Yes they are--at least at the Palau Pacific Resort, where we stayed before getting on our liveaboard. The electrical plugs were exactly as in the US.

I just got back a few days ago. Standard plugs at the West Plaza By The Sea. Currency is the US$. Most places take credit cards. Cars drive on the right side of the road (but most have the wheel on the left. Palau is tied very tightly to the US through the Voluntary Cooperation Compact. Sometimes it seems just like home. Two US banks have branches there. The most popular brand of beer is Bud. Fish dinners are cheap. I had shashimi every night for a week. If you have a US passport you get an automatic 1 year visa when you get off the plane, and you will be tempted to stay there forever.

The main difference is the diving is awesome and the scenery above water is also awesome. Got any questions, just ask me. It is fresh in my mind and I love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom