Placement of SMB for DIR UK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles/California, (originally from Stockholm
I came across a discussion on a Swedish dive site where some claim that DIR in UK store thier SMB preattached on the reel which in turn is attached to a D-ring. This sounds a bit strange to me (although there seems to exist some smaller variations regarding equipment comfiguration and location on the planet), since it would lock up the reel for SMB use only, and also potentially increase the risk of snags. This especially for wreck divers for whom this method is said to be favored.

There is also talk about using the SMB from AP valves with a preinstalled small cylinder for quicker deployment.

All this does not sound fully DIR to me, but I might be wrong.

Any input?

Sincerely

Anders

globaldiver:
I came across a discussion on a Swedish dive site where some claim that DIR in UK store thier SMB preattached on the reel which in turn is attached to a D-ring. This sounds a bit strange to me (although there seems to exist some smaller variations regarding equipment comfiguration and location on the planet), since it would lock up the reel for SMB use only, and also potentially increase the risk of snags. This especially for wreck divers for whom this method is said to be favored.

There is also talk about using the SMB from AP valves with a preinstalled small cylinder for quicker deployment.

Any input?

Sincerely

Anders

and just to clarify also.. are you not suppose to deploy SMB using a spool (?)

I can't speak for the AP unit, as I'm not familiar with it.

If you are using a single tank rig, you can attach the spool (not reel) to the SMB in advance with a double-ender and place it in your MC pak on your back. Then use the double-ender to clip to your butt dring if you wish. When I dive singles I load my SMB this way, but don't clip it off.

Having the SMB just clipped to your D ring (as it soubds like you were referring to below) would not be DIR (IMHO).

globaldiver:

Any input?

Sincerely

Anders

As I suspected, the proclaimed differences with UK-DIR divers (stated on a Swedish dive forum) was incorrect. I have received correct info from active DIR divers in the UK and from a GUE instructor. I just had to double check to make sure that I had not missed out on some information before I stated a correction of facts to that particular dive forum and member.

Thanks for your replies.

Anders

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom