Cochran computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone use a Cochran computer, either the Commander or the Commander EMC-20? It looks like they have a nice big display, and I like the upgradeability of them. Any opinions on them?

Also, what is the difference in the Commander and the EMC model?

thanks!

teknitroxdiver:
Does anyone use a Cochran computer, either the Commander or the Commander EMC-20? It looks like they have a nice big display, and I like the upgradeability of them. Any opinions on them?

thanks!

I love it. You are right, the screen has fairly big letters. I am upgraded in gases & memory. You have to sit down and read the manual and I highly recommend getting the interface kit so you can download etc. I have never had an issue with it and really like the fact that it treats you like an adult. What I mean is that it does not lock you out. at worst, you deco at 21% at sea level (or whatever elevation it detects). It is reliable and can be adjusted to very little conservatism.

It uses 2 N batteries.

For my eyes, I wish I would have got the yellow backlight. With the interface, you can adjust 1.022X1023rd settings......

I think that divers that do not like Cochrans don't take the time to learn to use them properly. :06:

Relative to some of the more common computers, what is the conservancy like on a no-deco dive? Also, how bulky is it? I can see how big it is as far as length and width, but it's hard to tell the thickness and the weight.

thanks!

teknitroxdiver:
Relative to some of the more common computers, what is the conservancy like on a no-deco dive? Also, how bulky is it? I can see how big it is as far as length and width, but it's hard to tell the thickness and the weight.

thanks!

The conservatism is what you set it to, bu I will tell you I clear deco a few minutes earlier than the Vytech guys. On air, no deco, I think it is a bit more agressive than others the way I have it set. It automatically senses whether you are in salt or fresh and I think that affects the NDC times a bit too. I dive with other guys that have Commanders and I find them very consistent between units. Can't say that for others I have seen.

As far as bulk, It is curved on the back and less than an inch thick. I think it is better than others for wearing. I don't care for hockey puck style computers that stick up. Not real heavy either, but it is heavy duty. You can tell the case is thick. You can stand on it I would bet. (I am not doing that unless it is a really good bet).

It comes with an adhesive screen cover that works great too. In water, weight is not an issue anyway. To turn the light on, you whack it.

Whack it? So it's like a touch screen thing?

How easy are the contacts (the little metal button-like things) to use? I have them on my Suunto Favor and have some trouble getting them to reliably work. Are they on the side? It looks like that in the pictures but I can't really tell.

thanks again

teknitroxdiver:
Whack it? So it's like a touch screen thing?

How easy are the contacts (the little metal button-like things) to use? I have them on my Suunto Favor and have some trouble getting them to reliably work. Are they on the side? It looks like that in the pictures but I can't really tell.

Whack it? - Yeah, you literally hit tap/hit the screen with your fist and the red light (or optional yellow) comes on!

The contacts are "easy" to use once you get used to it. It does get complicated when you also have to use a coin (Cochran actually supplies you with a Quarter) to bridge the contacts to access some functions (your fingers alone won't do it).

Hmm thats interesting. It would take some motivating to bring me to whack my brand new computer!

How often do you have to use the contacts? I think my body must have low conductivity or something, seeing as i have so much trouble with my current computer!

teknitroxdiver:

The Commander EMC-20H is a "Helium" capable computer, i.e. it can be used when you dive Trimix or Heliox as well as for nitrox/CCR. The "normal" Commander can only be used for nitrox/CCR (albeit without interface).

I've used the Commander and the older Commander Nitrox many times. They are good computers and also make very nice bottom timers; very aggressive though. I also had a Gemini which I had problems with. The only issue I have with Cochran is the "automatic gas switching" feature - I personally do not think that it is a good idea.

teknitroxdiver:
How often do you have to use the contacts?

Not often, but when you do and the bloody coin is not anywhere to be found, it does get kinda frustrating!

Thanks for the info. Is there anywhere online I can buy one? There isn't a dealer within a reasonable distance of me (or even within an unreasonable distance!). I did a Google search but nothing there...

thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom