small computer: suunto mosquito vs dive rite nitek plus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padudle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello

I am researching dive computers for my wife. I use a large wrist mount Cressi but that size instrument is not practical for a person her size. On our last dive trip a fellow diver loaned her a Suunto Mosquito for the day and she found it totally natural to use. I have heard some complaints about the Mosquito and there are several other dive computers in the same size class. In particular the Dive Rite Nitek Plus seems to be a nice machine. Here is a comparison of features that I have gleened from documentation. I'm losing the white spaces on submission so I hope you can see that I'm trying to do a table below.

Mosquito Nitek Plus

price $330 $500
size Both are wristwatch size
altitude adjustment manual automatic
turn on automatic automatic
back light yes yes
battery replacement user factory
nitrox 1 mix 2 mix
guage mode no yes
audible alarm yes yes

I searched for a thread on this subject but did not find anything on point. If you have experience with either of these computers any comments are greatly appreciated.

I have a mosquito. I don't know the nitek, so can't compare.

You say it doesn't have gauge mode, true, but is has freedive mode instead. In freedive mode it shows depth and time underwater (also keeps a log of freedives), great for snorkeling.

Have had it for about a year and a half now, battery now needs first replacement. I love the mosquito, won't dive without it. Has everything i need, freedive, air and nitrox, personal settings (e.g. more conservative mode) alarms (e.g. had an alarm at 18m depth when I was only OW, good to keep you on your toes). Use it alot for snorkeling also (always trying to improve my max freedive depth (20m) and time), wear it as a regular watch all the time when on vacation. Also have a PC interface, so nice logs and graphs on my PC.

Looking at your comparison the difference is 1 vs. 2 nitrox (do you need 2?) and automatic altitude adjustment (how often do you dive at different altitudes?). Can't judge the looks and the size of the display though. Don't know the Nitetek as said, but i found the mosquito had the best feature/price ratio out there when i bought it.

hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom