varnish dangerous to Nikonos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello

I had a wooden box custom made for my Nikonos V and my SB-105 strobe. after a week or so, the smell of the varnish is still there. Is it safe to put my camera and accessories there?

Jalal

You don't say what type of varnish it is. The solvents in some synthetic varnishes are petroleum distilates, and pretty bad for acrylics and o-rings.

The human nose is actually pretty good at detecting even trace amounts of these solvents.

These solvents leach through plastic bags pretty well, so placing your camera into a ziplock baggie will be of limited value.

To be on the safe side, you can lay the open box in the sun for a day or two. This will boil off the solvents faster.

All the best, James

Thanks for the advice James...
I did that last week and woke up in the middle of the night from the sound of rain...i'll wait a few days for the clouds to clear

Jalal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom