Do I need a wet suit in Cozumel [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Do I need a wet suit in Cozumel

Sponsored Link
rlitt
April 25th, 2002, 02:34 AM
Hello all,
I have a newbie question:
Just wondering if I need a wetsuit or a shortly when diving in Cozumel? The maximum depths I plan on reaching is 80' feet.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Brandon
April 25th, 2002, 04:10 AM
I'd take a wetsuit with me if I were going to Cozumel, especially if you're doing multiple dives daily. A 3mm shorty should be more then enough. As I understand it the water temperatures are in the mid 70s to low 80s in Cozumel. I had the same in Hawaii and found a 3mm to be plenty comfy.

Brandon.

RRDAVE
April 25th, 2002, 07:27 AM
We were in Cozemel in jan. and I used a 3/2 steamer and was fine. now my wife used a .5 mil skin and was fine and we did 3 dives in one day. RR

Welshman
April 25th, 2002, 09:09 AM
I'd use a 3mm full if you're diving more than once a day. A shorty might be warm enough but won't protect you if you come across a stinging critter.

ScubyDoo
April 25th, 2002, 02:25 PM
I agree with the Welshman....A shorty is probably plenty for warmth purposes, but you still have skin exposed to potential scrapes, stings, bites, etc.

As much as I love wearing my shorties, if theres critters in the water with me, I would wear full exposure protection. The water temp at 80fsw will be a bit cooler than at the surface, and you will lose body heat even in warm water. If your down any length of time it will start to get chilly. Id go with a full 3mm jumpsuit.

sumguy
April 25th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Dove Cozumel in January in my shortie. 12 dives the first six days, some deep, and only got cold after I took a day off from diving. But, and encounter with some fire coral taught me that I need a full 3mm wetsuit. Water temp was 78 to 80 F. Warmer than Maui.

Welshman
April 26th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Surely point of this is who has ever overheated in the water. The only downside to a full wetsuit is that its slightly more difficult to get on and off and if it's hot then you sweat buckets waiting on the dive deck to go down. Our instructor in Thailand where water was 27/28c wore a 5mm full suit.

WolfEl
April 26th, 2002, 03:37 AM
I just returned from Cozumel. The water temp. was running at 82 F. I dove with Dive Paradise on the Tango with Pepe as my DM. Our group dove with Shorties, skins and bathing suits. I used a 3MM full suit and was just fine. On occassion I flushed it with water to cool it. Nobody reported being cold, even the swim suit people...but I thought they looked a little 'blue.'

We dove (3) dives a day for five days. Stayed at the Costa Club. The highlight of the trip for me was being dropped infront of the Tourist Submarine at 60 Ft. or so. I was able to swim up and hang on to a seam under the windows and look in and wave at the occupants. I then was able to swing up to the top deck and hold on to the rail on my back on the top deck and ride along 3 to 4 knots enjoying the ride. It was awsome :out:

Kat
May 17th, 2002, 04:01 PM
That is a hard question to answer. It depends on the individual. My boyfriend dives there in his swim trunks & a T-shirt. While I have on a full 7 mil wetsuit & am happy as a clam. I agree about having a full wetsuit, as you never know what you might run into. I think my boyfriend is nuts to dive without a wet suit.

Bigberg50
May 17th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Was there about 2 weeks ago. I used a 3mil. But on the boats, folks were wearing anything from a tee-shirt to a 5mm with hood and gloves. It depends on how cold you get and how many dives you're planning for each day.

Kat
May 19th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Bigberg50 is right about people diving w/ hoods & gloves there. Last year there was a girl on my dive boat that wore both. My boyfriend & I called her Scuba Barbie(not to her face) as everything was color coordinated, brand new & she had full make-up on. After each dive she would touch up her make-up. She actually was very nice & said she always wore the hood & gloves. It was obvious that she did not enjoy diving & was only doing it to make her boyfriend happy.

maxigirl
May 19th, 2002, 10:25 PM
:jester: Hello everyone!..My husband and I were there last month and we both wore wet suits...he had a shorty and I wore a full 3/2..perfect as we ran into jelly fish..my hubby came back with more stings than I did. We also ran into alot of other little friendly critters..and I was very happy that i had a full suit on..so its nice to have one just in case

FastDen
May 21st, 2002, 02:25 AM
I had the same question before my trip to Cozumel in February, and all the advice I got was to go with a 3mm full, which I did (even though my partner thought the shorty was more "sexy"- like the fish care!). The water temps were 75+ degrees, and near the end of 6 days of 2-3 dives a day I was getting a little chilled on the second or third dive. But I have a pretty low body fat %, which probably accounts for the chilling. A shorty would definitely been a problem.

So much depends on your own personal stats and preferences, but I'd say go with the 3mm- you could always let a little water in if you get too warm.
FastDen :rainbow:

ScubaBurt
May 28th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Just returned from Coz this past Sat. The Water temp was 82 F down to 92 ft. The air temp was 88 F. Like others have said, It all depends on the individual diving. I wore a poly-o-film and Flo wore a 3mm Titanium. I was fine the whole week and she didn't get chilled until the 5th day of diving and then it was on the second dive of the day. You do need to wear at least a skin for cover in case of the stingy things. They are there when you least expect them. I suggest you carry your wetsuit. If you start to get chilled you can put it on the next dive. Don't forget to adjust your weights if you change. Good luck and safe diving.

DocVikingo
May 31st, 2002, 10:35 AM
Hi rlitt,

You've thus far received over a dozen replies, yet not one has asked what time(s) of year you are interested in, a matter you did not specify in your post.

This is rather important as temps can reach a low of 77 in mid-winter and high of 86 in late summer, although the expected range is more like 79-84. Even so, for most folks 79 means different thermal protection than 84.

It is also important in that thermal comfort is quite idiosyncratic. Asking a random audience if you need to take a wetsuit and what type will yield a variety of responses, as can be seen in the present thread, e.g., "swim trunks & a T-shirt" to "7 mm wesuit."

To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my June '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "5 mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

Because of the healthy reefs & currents in Coz, it's always a good idea to wear a full covering of some sort, although whether that is a simple diveskin or a substantial wetsuit in part depends upon time of year.

Is there a particular time of year in which you're interested?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

ayesa
June 3rd, 2002, 02:16 PM
Hi! I live in cozumel and work in a dive shop. I totally agree with Dc. Vikingo. and add, In summer a LIKRA full-suit would work perfect! We do have some jelly fish, harmless...you feel it like moskito bites and ussually can't see them. ;)

Roooter
June 4th, 2002, 08:59 AM
we were there in April. water temp was 80f at depth. we wore lycra skins until about Thurs then changed to polyfleece skins. were perfectly comfortable all week.

Starfish
June 4th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Just back from Cozumel. We wore 0.5 mm suits to 82 feet and were fine.

DocVikingo
June 4th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Hi Ayesa,

Nice to see you back.

Thank you for supporting a voice of reason in what has become, at points, a fairly nonsensical thread.

BTW, speaking of "sea lice," I've heard from several recent visitors to Coz that they have gotten bad cases. Ditto from divers in Belize & Grand Cayman. Got a bumper crop this season?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

ayesa
June 5th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the note Dc. I've been on the cruise ships helping.
BUT I'M BACK!!!
And we havenīt had any reports on it.
Just a few "moskito bites" on our snorkel trip in Dzul-Ha (Do you know it?) But nothing that we can't control with a little of Vinager! ;)

DocVikingo
June 5th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Hi Ayesa,

Sure I do. Dzul-Ha Reef takes about an hour to leisurely snorkel around. Nice, too.

Hasta luego,

DocVikingo

another mike
August 30th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Hey,

After 2 trips to coz., I found a 3m shorty is fine but it depends on how many dives per day really. As for water temp, my first trip was in Jan and at the surface it was 82 and 78 at 127 ft. Most ops wouldn't take anyone on the C-53 without a full suit though....

good luck

m

KidK9
August 31st, 2002, 12:30 AM
Just got back from Coz on Wednesday. Did two dives per day. My computer read 82 degrees at max depth every day. My 3 mm shorty was good, but I did get a bit shilly soetimes and I dont get chilly often. I recommend a 3mm full. Just my $.02.

CharleyT
July 12th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Hi gang,

I am new (just now starting my training) and will be in Cozumel on the 17th of December (2004). I am planning a dive there and wonder what the water temps might be around that time.

I will be in Grand Cayman the day before. Would anyone know the temp there as well? (Taking a cruise that week).

Thanks,

Charley

lindhsu
July 16th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Was just there last week. Everyone was wearing wet suits except us on the first dive we were concerned but after the first one we realized they are not necessary we want down 85ft the water was still 80 degrees. The only day we were cold was when we came up for our rest between dives and it rained, but they let us jump in the ocean to warm up. We are also from Michigan and I did my open water in November without a dry suit.

Brian Gilpin
July 16th, 2004, 10:31 AM
I cant imagine any salt water diiving where some skin protection is not advisable from critters coral etc. I choose a full body 3 mm sometimes with a light hood if jellyfish are present or suspected. Quite a few people react badly to the stings.

parrotheaddiver
July 16th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Hi gang,

I am new (just now starting my training) and will be in Cozumel on the 17th of December (2004). I am planning a dive there and wonder what the water temps might be around that time.

I will be in Grand Cayman the day before. Would anyone know the temp there as well? (Taking a cruise that week).

Thanks,

Charley

Around 80 degrees, but if they have a Norte come through the air will be chilly. We were there last Dec and I had a 2ml on and I was cold. My husband wore a 3ml and was comfortable.

Jerryg
July 21st, 2004, 01:42 PM
I've done Coz in the summer and in the winter. If you have a tendency to get cold then wear a wetsuit. If you don't tend towards getting cold, and aren't doing a lot of dives, then enjoy the freedom of diving in a bathing suit. I looked at my log book and the bottom temperatures 50- 100ft have been between 78F - 82F. I've never noticed any thermal cline, but have noted that it is sometimes a few degrees warmer at depth than it is on the surface. Coz is a good choice. Have a lot of fun

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1