Unfortunate lobster news story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been seen from P'town South for a few years. Every year I hope it doesn't make it's way up to my bug spots. So far, so good.

As far as the meat is concerned, the lobster's fine. However, the affect of the disease ranges from mearly cosmetic (black spots, deformed shell) up to complete shell rot and brittleness. Having a brittle shell probably isn't a good thing if the lobster's looking for a long life.

I noticed only a few lobsters w/ the 'Ugly Lobster Disease'(ULD) last year and they were all on the SS. Also spoke with a friendly neighborhood lobsterman in Hull who said he saw a few in '03 and an increasing number of them in '04, but nothing too serious. He did say that they can't sell those marked lobsters. However, I ate a diseased one last year(minor shell rot) and noticed no taste difference. Hopefully, the UDL will stay where it is and then go away.

LobstaMan

If it doesn't kill them outright or get much worse, might it have a beneficial effect on the population? The more get thrown back, the more there are to breed, right?

MSilvia,

Interestingly enough, it has been suggested that the limiting factor for lobster populations in New England is not the reproduction capacity of the adults, but rather the survival rate of the larval lobsters. Either way, there's been some sort of downfall.

I recently read that today's lobster populations are larger than they were centuries ago, before cod fisheries (lobster predators) were decimated. Interesting fellows, those lobsters...

DSAO,

Anthony

From what I'v heard, being infected with this disease does lower survial rates - I don't see an upside :(

are too weak to move, forage, mate etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom