Sunfish in PG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

happybuddha

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My girlfriend is doing DM course in PG and on Wednesday they were diving The Dry Dock off Big La Laguna. Several minutes into the dive they noticed a Mola Mola (Sunfish) hovering over the dry dock and they swam around with it for 10 minutes. She said it was very gentle.

She also said it was 5m fin tip to fin tip and 3.5m head to tail...I think this may be a bit of an exageration, from what I can find on the Sunfish, but still it must have been quite large. That's way cool.

I LOVE DIVING IN THE PHILIPPINES!!!!!!!

Drew

happybuddha:
My girlfriend is doing DM course in PG and on Wednesday they were diving The Dry Dock off Big La Laguna. Several minutes into the dive they noticed a Mola Mola (Sunfish) hovering over the dry dock and they swam around with it for 10 minutes. She said it was very gentle.

She also said it was 5m fin tip to fin tip and 3.5m head to tail...I think this may be a bit of an exageration, from what I can find on the Sunfish, but still it must have been quite large. That's way cool.

Drew
I was diving PG last week too.My buddy saw a Mola2 at the West Escarcio dive site.I happen to skip that site for the Canyon.Unlucky me!Sunfish can be huge,and we see them sometimes frolicking at the water surface during the summer here in New York /New Jersey area.Nothing compare to seeing them in the water,I guess.Fredi.

happybuddha:

Drew

5m! Ay caramba! I've heard them schooling around in packs of 20 here in Monterey and Carmel. I'm not sure if they're seasonal, but if so I'll definitey try to catch them this time around. The sad thing is, over here at least, the sea lions tend to rip the mola mola fins off and play with them like frisbees. I've read many reports of divers spotting finless mola mola on the ocean floor.

.mike

Back
Top Bottom