How many dives ina single Day ? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : How many dives ina single Day ?

Sponsored Link

uaflyer
February 20th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Just wondering how many folks have done.

Surfacing doesn't count :11ztongue
This means you actually leave the water and return.

dive
February 20th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Just wondering how many folks have done.

Surfacing doesn't count :11ztongue
This means you actually leave the water and return.

You should ask how many hours we spend in the water in a day... :10:

Scubakevdm
February 20th, 2005, 12:46 AM
I did 11 once while helping to research a site for a new artificial reef. Probably not the healthiest thing to do. I sure was careful on my ascents towards the end of the day.

Knight1989
February 20th, 2005, 12:55 AM
When I was DMing and going through all my training, it was very common to average about 5 a day, almost every day. Most of them were shorter dives, at shallower depths. Usually taking a Discover Scuba Class out on thier Open water, Scuba refreshers, Tours, or my own training dives. So usually 40 ft or less. But Id try and sneak in one good 80+ft dive per day.

NWGratefulDiver
February 20th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Warm water - 5 dives (Bonaire) with a total bottom time of 5 hours and 28 minutes

Cold water - 4 dives (Nanaimo, BC) with a total bottom time of 3 hours and 43 minutes

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Vie
February 20th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Warm water - 5 dives (Ko Bon/Tachai, Thailand) with a total bottom time of 3 hours and 53 minutes.

drbill
February 20th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Cool water 7 dives (Catalina), warm water 6 dives (max allowed, Thailand). Diving that frequently I always do my deep dives first, then stay in the shallows (< 40 ft) videotaping for the last few.

I generally don't count a dive if it is less than 30 minutes unless there is a specific reason to.

Dr. Bill

MaxBottomtime
February 20th, 2005, 01:34 PM
For the past ten years it's been mainly 1-2 dives per day. I didn't count the short dives during my Divemaster class, otherwise I'd be one of those people bragging about having 20,000 dives. :D

JustJoe
February 20th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I generally don't count a dive if it is less than 30 minutes unless there is a specific reason to.

Dr. Bill

Hey Dr. B,

Out of curiousity, why wouldn't you count all the dives?

Joe

mccabejc
February 20th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Interesting discussion. I'm wondering if there are any guidelines concerning maximum hours underwater in a single day. I'm heading for a dive vacation, and planning on 2-3 dives per day, all at less than 60 ft. Probably most will be 40ft. or less. I'm assuming that with long surface intervals, and doing what my conservative Cobra computer says, I should be okay even if I did more than that. Maybe I'll ask Dr. Deco.

el ridgeo
February 20th, 2005, 03:11 PM
6 dives a day warm water (liveaboard)

uaflyer
February 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I realize the hours can get pretty long, but the actual dive quantity is of interest to me. Considering exiting the water, shore, boat etc.

Taking off gear, maybe filling tanks. If you have a drysuit, wrestling with that.
It all builds to be WORK ;)

I have found beach diving in a 5 mm drysuit, with several stairs (18lbs of weights) and a 30-50 meter walk to be interesting. hard to imagine doing that more than 3 or 4 times in a single day. Sheesh, I was tired just walking to the beach !

Thanks for those who replied.

RP Diver
February 21st, 2005, 12:28 AM
I have done as much as 5 dives a day for a couple days in a row on various liveaboards in the Caymans, Belize, and the Sea of Cortez. It becomes very easy to just roll off the sun deck, into your gear and off the boat. I even snorkel a lot during my SI when moored in a good location for it.

Rick

wolf eel
February 21st, 2005, 01:56 AM
Technically. Every pen is a dive so 36 :hai:

SoCalAngel
February 21st, 2005, 05:08 AM
I have done 6 dives a day in cold water on a bug hunting trip. I spent 7 hours and 5 minutes underwater that day. Surface intervals were all longer than 1 hour and most dives were shallower than 70 feet.

Other than that, my usual number of dives off a boat are 3-4 and off the beach is 1-2. I have done 4 dives off the beach, including the walk down the stairs and back to the car, but that was when I assisted with classes, then did a couple of fun dives to wind down. :diver:

uaflyer
February 21st, 2005, 10:26 PM
Technically. Every pen is a dive so 36 :hai:

What is a pen ?

What is a true dive., lol

Actually existing the water, or say doing a surface interval floating on the water ?

wolf eel
February 21st, 2005, 10:50 PM
A pen is a farm system it could have many pens our farms had 18 they range from 120'sq by to 35' sq. You do net check and you collect morts. And if you leave the net you may drop to 250'. Pred nets have to be able to go under the entire net system and has to be sewn in the middle of two panels so three panels in total. That would stretch along the entire system. So we would do 36 pens at 120' deep. 18 before lunch and 18 after.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1