DIR-F Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
a quick report of my DIR-F class this weekend, in High Springs, Florida.

the class itself was taught by three instructors in training, and they would be
evaluated at the end of the class to obtain their instructor certificate. they
were Garth McMurdie, Mark Messersmith, and Bob Bourke, and three more
professional instructors are hard to imagine. they knew their stuff, were awesome
instructors, and had a lot of fun too.

Jarrod Jablonski and David Rhea were evaluating Garth, Mark, and Bob, so basically
Jarrod and David watched everything we did...which was... somewhat... oh well :11:
also, there were three interns watching the class so they could meet their
observation requirements, and a few other guys as well. All were awesome,
and the epitome of friendly and professional.

at the beginning of the class, Jarrod said a few words. i asked him about the DIR
Open Water class, and he said that they're implementing it right now and should be
ready to go this year.

after that, it was all Garth, Mark, and Bob. there were two students, Levavie
and myself. so... never in the history of DIR-F have so few been instructed by
so many. we definetely lucked out!

After a morning of lectures and equipment test, off to Ginnie to complete the swim test. in reverse order, the 50-foot breath hold was easy, just a head game. on the other hand, the 300 yard swim was really tough for me. i fractured my L1 vertebrae and my right shoulder in October, and they are both mostly healed, but still sore at times.

well... wouldn't you know it... about fifty yards into the swim, my right shoulder
is killing me on every stroke, and getting worse. i even swallowed a little bit of
water. so... i figured, i would get on my back and finish the swim that way (the
shoulder was able to handle the paddling once i got on my back).

with a lot of help from Garth, who stayed with me and steered me with his voice,
i was able to finish the 300 yard swim in 11:30 minutes. i don't think i've ever been
more relieved than when i fnished that swim. i really thought i was not going to be
able to make it.

the next two days of diving were very tiring, very demanding. at 38, i guess i'm
just not a spring chicken anymore to be learning these sort of things. our first
air share drill was a total cluster fudge, but we got it to where it was recognizable
(if not pretty), and the timed ascents, first without and then with an air share,
were truly challenging. the task-loading was significant.

watching the videos of Lebovin and I dive was very educational, and they have
given me a very good idea of my true abilities as a diver, with lots lots lots lots
of stuff to work on.

overall, i found the class to be an extremely fun and challenging time. above all,
i just loved Mark, Bob, and Garth, who were just phenomenally helpful and willing
to share their knowledge and experience. that goes for all the guys there. it was
just humbling to see what awesome divers these guys were.

in fact, i don't think i've ever been around better divers than these guys. and yet,
what came across from them was their desire to share what they know and help
us become better divers. it was just an amazing experience.

oh... on the third day, before our first dive, Jarrod and i happened to be in the
bathroom and Blue Grotto together, so he asked me how my shoulder was
doing. i said, "It's ok when it doesn't hurt."

those must be the dumbest words that have ever been uttered in that bathroom.

But finally are you now DIR F????
All must have been a lot of fun I envy you but the shoulder...
Hope it will be OK even when it's hurting you
:D
Mania

H2Andy:
after that, it was all Garth, Mark, and Bob. there were two students, Lebovin (sp?)
and myself. so... never in the history of DIR-F have so few been instructed by
so many. we definetely lucked out!

I would say "over-instructed" :) if such word existed in English.

mania:
But finally are you now DIR F????

oh yes, i'm sorry. we both received a passing grade.

H2Andy:
Well done, you bypassed provisional and are good to go. Glad your shoulder didnt cause you too much inconvenience!

Are you up for diving this weekend too around High Springs? Reply back to David's thread in FCD, see if we can get something going.

H2Andy:
Congrats!!!!
Jealous Mania (*because it will take her years to be able to pass DIR F*)

Thanks for sharing that report Andy. It was a fun read!

These reports keep me enthusiastic about having an opportunity to participate in this class. I keep checking to see when they will be teaching DIR-F in San Diego again, but have not seen anything listed yet.

Hope your shoulder finishes healing up quickly with no residual negative effects.

Christian

Thanks for the report Andy, Makes me look forward to my DIR-F course next month all the more... I think we'll have a few less instructors however :wink:

Tim

Back in January 2003, there were four students. On the other side of the fence was AG, David Rhea, 6 instructor candidates, 1 intern and 2 other top notch diverss were in the water. How about 11 to 4 for a nice ratio? People should really jump on the classes when they are holding the ITC/IE. JJ made an appearance on the last day to discuss the transition to the class being a certification class.

btw, IIRC, Bob Bourke is from Tampa and was one of the students. Is this the same person? If it is, it's amazing what a couple of years of hard practice will do. I also met Mark during cave 2. He's pretty cool as well.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom