Kiribati

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking of going to Kiribati-Christmas Island (south of Hawaii) in October of 2005.

Does anyone have any updated info?

Was there about a year ago. One dive operation at that time, American with i-Kiribati wife. Boats are extended outriggers. Adequate if not crowded (which they are unlikely to be). Be sure to request your dive sites or they will stay close to town.

Don't miss the opportunity to a) see the fantastic seabird colonies and b) the remnants of the atom bomb testing sites, before they're hauled away. Did one shore dive on the east coast (Bay of Wrecks) that was a bit of a difficult entry, but not impossible. Diving (Pacific standard) was pleasant and enjoyable, but it's not Palau or PNG. When I visited, I was the only one on the island who had come specifically to go diving...most visitors are there for the world-famous fishing.

Thank you for the info. It looks as though I am going to be the only diver there also. So I am getting the $300.00 surcharge. Hopefully someone else will join in.

Could you please tell me some of the dive sites you liked that I should request.

Thanks,
Scott

thranx:
Was there about a year ago. One dive operation at that time, American with i-Kiribati wife. Boats are extended outriggers. Adequate if not crowded (which they are unlikely to be). Be sure to request your dive sites or they will stay close to town.

Don't miss the opportunity to a) see the fantastic seabird colonies and b) the remnants of the atom bomb testing sites, before they're hauled away. Did one shore dive on the east coast (Bay of Wrecks) that was a bit of a difficult entry, but not impossible. Diving (Pacific standard) was pleasant and enjoyable, but it's not Palau or PNG. When I visited, I was the only one on the island who had come specifically to go diving...most visitors are there for the world-famous fishing.

Go to Poland (seriously). Best dive of the visit. Napoleon wrasse, bluefin trevally, nice coral, skipjack tuna, caves, good viz. On the return, the local pod of spinner dolphins follows the boat. You clamber over the side and hang onto the outrigger while the dolphins rocket along ten feet below you. Exhilarating.

Have a good visit.

Not much activity on this thread of late. Does anyone have any current information about diving in Kiribati? Google searches are coming up pretty sparsely populated.

Hey Steel Eyes, I travel quite frequently to both Tarawa and Christmas Island for business but had tried a dive in Xmas which didn't go too well as the divemaster who took us out had a migraine which he only told me once we had jumped over the side of the boat so we jumped back on again. there is a club called dive Kiribati run by Kim who is based in Fiji divekiribati@juno.com but they don't seem to get too much business so don't be surprised if they are not operating. Otherwise contact my agent Jacob Teem jacobteem@aol.com who runs Ikari house which is the best place to stay and they do fishing charters as Xmas is on high on the fly fishing places to visit list. he will be able to point you in the right direction. it has to be one of the most isolated places in the world and in the boat trip from the beach to one dive site there was plenty of turtles / mantas very close to the surface. cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom