Do I need a Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deus

Registered
Reaction score
I will be divin 3 xs a year minimum, HOPEFULLY a lot more, and was wondering if I need a dive watch. I will mostly be diving in tropics with dive shops. I know they plan it out but things like monitoring ascending rates seem invaluable.

Do I really need this? If so how much am I looking at spending?

You don't need one, but they do make life a lot easier...

I use a Suunto Mosquito as a "logbook" and will be using a bottomtimer as primary instrument.

Laurens

For the average recreational diver who does typically a 2 tank dive(s) per day while on vacation and under 60 feet. No you don't need one. tables will work fine. The comptuer might give you slightly more bottom time but not much. (unless you do multi-level/depth diving). Most people dove for years before they got a computer.

Where a computer is a real advantage is when you are doing repetitive diving or deeper dives or multi-depth dives. nitrox diving is easier with a computer also.

what do they cost? anywhere from $150 bucks to $120 easy. Depending on what you get and what options it has. The smaller watch size ones cost more as do nitrox ones.

Deus:
I will be divin 3 xs a year minimum, HOPEFULLY a lot more, and was wondering if I need a dive watch. I will mostly be diving in tropics with dive shops. I know they plan it out but things like monitoring ascending rates seem invaluable.

Your best bet, is a digital bottom timer/depth guage and a copy of one of the many electronic dive planners. After planning your dives for a few trips and really studying how things work you will basically be able to plan dives in your head. Dive tables (if you know how to do it) and the PADI wheel also allow you to plan multi-level dives and start to understand this stuff. You are far better off actually learning what you can and can't do as opposed to relying on a computer.

However, if you are new and aren't comfortable doing this yet, there are plenty of good computers out there that, once you are comfortable doing this, can be set to gauge mode. I would still encourage you to go to the trouble of planning out every dive and paying enough attention to the profile to plan your repetitive dives.

Everyone's assuming "dive watch" means "dive computer" (?) - I'll do the same.

It's true if you're doing 2 shallow & square dives a day you may not gain much time from a computer, but they're still convienient. Any more than that and they start to become very useful. Perhaps it's not a 100% "need" item, but I don't see a lot of divers in the tropics anymore without them, at least not people going to the major dive destinations to dive. Unlike some, I think it's fine to dive a computer, as long as you understand the theory and what you're doing, and what to do if it fails.

Don't ever assume a dive shop will "plan it out" for you. Some shops are very specific about depth and time and insist you follow a guide, others give you completely free reign (though usually there is still an option to follow a guide if you'd like.) No matter what they do you're the one responsible for yourself and your profile. And it's likely after you get some dives in that you won't want to have anyone planning anything for you or leading you.

For three dive a year, NO. Buy a cheap watch from K-mart, Walmart and use the tables.
I got certified last year and did 17 dives and I had to think about getting the computer. If it wasn't for the fact that I spent only $140 on it, I wouldn't have bought it.

Some will say to buy a bottom timer. I wouldn't just for the fact that they cost just about the same as a computer and usually don't have replaceable batteries.

I'm one who has a computer on my wrist but only uses it as a bottom timer and depth gauge. I don't depend on the computer since I plan my dive and know how long I can safely stay in NDL at my deepest point of my dive. I can come pretty close to estimating my average depth as well. A friend of mine Uncle Pug, says that they rot the brain and I'm inclined to agree. With practice you'll know what your profile is and how to stay in NDL. When you start doing deco dives then you plan for those as well. It's not that hard.
Get a set of tables and memorize them. Get a bottom timer/depth gauge and you'll be fine.

Deus:

For 3 dives a year don't buy one. Use the tables and make sure you keep up on how they work.

If it's 3 dive trips per year then you should consider renting a computer for your guided boat dives. You'll get more bottom time for your buck like that.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom