DIR-F book or video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
Guys,
Am looking to either get the book or video. I do not intend to take DIR-F Class anytime soon. Just wanted to see the other "side" view point and trying to be a safer diver. I dont mind spending the money for the video if its more worth it than the book.

p/s: If you are on the DIR or NON DIR crusade, please spare me. I am not interested in debating those.

Thanks

You can get either at www.gue.com

IMO...If you want an intro..the book "DIR - The fundamentals of better diving" is better.

To me the DVD was of suspect quality (sound and picture, I liked the free DIR-III video better) and you needed to know a bit about DIR for some of the topics to make sense.

If they would of combined the DIR-III and the DVD, it would of been a lot better.

(In the DIR-III...they talk about a doubles setup but never show you...In the DVD its the opposite :wink: )

I think they are both good resources. However, they will only give you part of the picture and that is where taking a class comes into play. Also, some instructors will let you sit in the first day of class for free as an introduction to what GUE training is all about. You may want to look up an instructor in your area and see if you can talk to him/her about it.

The book is great in my opinion. You might be able to get the DVD a lil cheaper on ebay. and you can find DIRIII somewhere on the net. but I think the book,DVD, the class, and a mentor, might be the way to go.

If I only had one...it be the book.

Thank you for your resources and info. I am a fairly new diver, and as my first BC, purchased the Halcyon Pioneer. What a difference a BP/WING system made underwater ! Compared to the Zeagle Concept Pro and Zeagle Ranger used in my OW training it was NIGHT/DAY.

This summer, my gf is going for her OW training and we are already getting Halcyon Eclipse system for her.

I am not about to plunge into DIR-F classes jsut yet as i feel i need to have more dive experience (2-3 yr consistant diving) before going the tech route. I dont see myself going into caves, but deep diving and wreck diving sounds very interesting.

I will view those free videos and audio clips and will wait for more responses Video VS. Book.

If you have used copies of books or Video definetly PM me , I just might be able to afford both ! :)

buy the book... its like $24.

OH and PLEASE DONT fall into the misconcaption that having more dives (specially 2-3 yrs of constant diving) are needed for DIR-F all the opposite is true!

My friend had 35 dives and did much better than thoses in his class w/ 200+ dives, I did much better than folks w/ 1000+ dives. ITS FUNDAMENTALS not something you have to be experianced for. your 3yrs of diving will go much smoother having had this training. AND bad habits are hard to un learn.

As for your GF maybe the GUE open waer class will be available by then, I would consider it.

Dxtreme:
Thank you for your resources and info. I am a fairly new diver, and as my first BC, purchased the Halcyon Pioneer. What a difference a BP/WING system made underwater ! Compared to the Zeagle Concept Pro and Zeagle Ranger used in my OW training it was NIGHT/DAY.

This summer, my gf is going for her OW training and we are already getting Halcyon Eclipse system for her.

I am not about to plunge into DIR-F classes jsut yet as i feel i need to have more dive experience (2-3 yr consistant diving) before going the tech route. I dont see myself going into caves, but deep diving and wreck diving sounds very interesting.

I will view those free videos and audio clips and will wait for more responses Video VS. Book.

If you have used copies of books or Video definetly PM me , I just might be able to afford both ! :)

TECH ROUTE......????? DIR is not just about "tech" diving. look up the online video...it'll give you an idea of what I mean.

I recommend the book as a starting place because it is well organized and contains plenty of material that is valuable even if you never get into more advanced diving. I understand what you mean by wanting to wait and gain experience before going the "tech" route, but at the same time don't feel like you need to wait a while or practice a lot before taking the Fundamentals class. While GUE's roots lie in diving beyond the "recreational" realm, the DIR philosophy is quite applicable to all kinds of diving, even a 30 foot dive on a warm water reef (that's the beauty of it and part of what I enjoy the most). Anyone can benefit from the techniques on all dives. So you can take Fundamentals and use from the knowledge for quite a while before you take an additional course. Best of luck with everything and have fun!

Yeah I do see you guys point. Example, i felt so much more comfortable, mobile and breath less AIR due to more streamlined BP/WING system vs the Zeagle BCD i used during my OW class.

I already have all FREE available mp3 audio and DIR III video and will view and digest them soon. You guys convinced me that the book might be the way to go.

Thanks again.

Another vote for the "take DIR-F SOONER rather than later" crowd. I wish I had taken it with only 35 dives under my belt... heck, I wish I had done it with 20 dives under my belt. I had the impression I needed a drysuit and doubles. I was sooo wrong.

It's about the "Fundamentals" of diving, not "technical" diving. Totally worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom