Need Nubble light info...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Quebec

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm planning to go diving in Boston area, I heard Nubble Light was good and also Isle of Shoals...

I would need:

Water Temp in August ?
Visibility ?
Best charter?
Best cheap place to stay..(no camping please) ?
Best sites?

or any info that you could give me it would be great!

thanx everyone!

You might try the New England Lobstah Divers forum, since the area you're asking about is covered by that club.

In august you'd be looking at temps in the mid to high 40s or so. Nubble is a shore dive, and remember that you can't dive there on sundays or holidays.

For Isle of Shoals, you're best bet is to hook up with Captain Rob's; http://www.captainrobs.com/

And yea, we should move this over to the NELD group.

Scuba-Quebec:
Hi everybody!

I'm planning to go diving in Boston area, I heard Nubble Light was good and also Isle of Shoals...

I would need:

Water Temp in August ?
Visibility ?
Best charter?
Best sites?

thanx everyone!

If you try to dive Nubble or IofS in August you'll be there at the height of tourist season and there might be "less expensive options" but there won't be cheap .. assuming you can find a place at all.

Depending on the weather prior to August the water temp can reach 50s in the shallows.

Visibility will range from less than 10 feet to 20 or more .. depending on weather, # of divers in the water, etc.

I agree with Spectre ... Capt Rob's the man for the Isles of Shoals, especially if you are already in that area.

If you decide to shore dive @ Nubble on a Saturday, arrive EARLY or you'll find parking rather slim.

Contact me closer to then and we can perhaps meet; I live only about 20 minutes from Nubble.

Scuba-Quebec:
Hi everybody!

I would need:

Water Temp in August ?
Visibility ?
Best charter?
Best sites?

thanx everyone!

Nubble is in York, Maine and a drive from Mass. It isn't in Boston. Just FYI.

Thanks for all answers...

Since I don't have a Dry suit...the water temp around 50's is a bit too cold for my wetsuit......I'll have to stop putting money aside for Coz...but that won't happen! :wink:

Scuba-Quebec:
Thanks for all answers...

Since I don't have a Dry suit...the water temp around 50's is a bit too cold for my wetsuit......I'll have to stop putting money aside for Coz...but that won't happen! :wink:

I dove it in October and i used a wet suite 7mm .. it was a night dive and i was happy.
sure the walk out was a little cold ..but if you are under and its in the 40-50 range
you will be fine if you have a 7mm :) the dive was a blast .. i think we saw a 15-20 lb lobster .. the thing was a monster :)

Gabe

Quebec,

For dive sites in New England check out http://www.scuba-newengland.com There should be plenty of options for you to research there (including Nubble).

The folks here know that Cape Ann offers a number of great shore dives or there's always a charter. If you are most interested in diving the waters off Cape Ann try http://www.capeanndivers.com, plenty of resources there as well.

If you are talking August you should be able to dive any massachusetts site in a quality wetsuit with relative comfort (I dive a two piece 7mm)

~stu

Nubble is a real nice dive, with very lge. granite blocks and decent life. Early is the key, 40-45 degrees is perfect weather for a 7 mil., two pc. suit. IMHO
Cape Ann has some real nice sites but parking can be problematic and tickets are not unusual (just 15 bucks though). Cape Ann divers have 2 boats and will sail with as few as 2-3 people, very good outfit and many sites to choose from. Have a great time and dive safe. Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom